OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Strangest thing you have heard a tom gobble at?  (Read 3333 times)

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
Re: Strangest thing you have heard a tom gobble at?
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2021, 07:14:22 PM »
Fire Siren on roof of Fire Station.

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2021, 09:07:53 PM »
A jackass braying in a nearby pasture.

This wasn't a one time thing, it happened almost every morning that I hunted that property.

If the jack brayed, the turkey gobbled and vice versa, if the turkey gobbled, the jack would bray. It was like they were saying good morning to each other.

I've heard them at work gobble when the trash man emptied the dumpster, every time he slammed the can, the turkeys would gobble.

Offline Tom Threetoes

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2021, 07:48:59 AM »
Years ago when I was working nights in the strip mines loading coal I had a little time between trucks so I drove down to the end of the pit. It was turkey season about 4:30- 5:00 AM so I shut the loader off to listen and the big shovel blew it's horn to move up and a gobbler sounded off.

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2021, 08:35:51 AM »
A jackass braying in a nearby pasture.

This wasn't a one time thing, it happened almost every morning that I hunted that property.

If the jack brayed, the turkey gobbled and vice versa, if the turkey gobbled, the jack would bray. It was like they were saying good morning to each other.

I've heard them at work gobble when the trash man emptied the dumpster, every time he slammed the can, the turkeys would gobble.
Haha I’ve never noticed a donkey braying at a turkey, but they’ll make the birds gobble sometimes around here. I always stop and listen when I hear a donkey. One morning this year they were gobbling on the roost at a really loud donkey and a rooster crowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline redjones

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2021, 10:39:22 PM »
Heard one Gobble after a Mule started hee-hawing this morning.

Greg
Semper Fi

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2021, 06:43:34 AM »
Guy down the road from where I hunt always has Bantam chickens, (Always thought they were called banny chickens til I went to check my spelling for this) for some reason one year he got some Road Island Red chickens instead, the turkey would never sound off at the Bantam chickens crowing but he sure did that one year the guy had Road Island Reds. Must have been change in the pitch of the crow I guess.

Also closing the heavy gate door at the end of the driveway to get in/out if shut hard.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Howie g

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2021, 07:38:06 AM »
Cows / mules / roosters / wood duck whistles / coyote howl / geese /
Coon squawling / to name a few ...  oh and sadly , feeders going off !!!

Offline THattaway

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Worship the LORD, not His creation.
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2021, 08:43:20 AM »
Everything already stated here and a couple more. Located a Tom shock gobbling at a dump trucks gate banging from nearby road work. Called him up and promptly missed him. Have had a roosted tom gobble at a loud fart before. Didn’t get him either.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

“The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill.”-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2021, 08:54:18 AM »
V-22 Osprey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ArMtnHntr

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2021, 09:15:07 AM »
Just happened last Thursday.   I took my 5 yr old son Rett hunting with me for the first time.   We got on a gobbler on the roost and got in really tight.  I told Rett he had to be super quiet and super still as I could see the bird on the limb.  I guess for a 5 yr old that's no easy feat.  The bird stayed on the limb a little longer than normal and Rett was starting to fidget.  I reassured him the bird was close and pleaded him not to move or talk above a whisper.   The bird pitched down, landed at 40 yds and I shot him at 18 yds about 30 seconds later.  One of my fastest hunts ever, but for Rett it had taken an eternity.    As soon as the gun roared, Rett was ready to talk, he was pumped up and turned in to a little blabber box.   As we were walking out and maybe half way back to the truck Rett was still talking and as he said something loudly in his high pitched 5 yr old voice a bird thundered on a bench 150 yds below us.  Rett's eyes got big and he grinned ear to ear.   

Offline Jimspur

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2021, 10:11:38 AM »
Hunting in Virginia once and was hearing some hammering at a nearby house. I kept thinking I heard gobbling when I heard the hammering.
Started working my way closer and sure enough every time they hammered he gobbled. I got about 125 yards from him and proceeded to call him right in and shoot him at 25 yards.