OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Scope or Red Dot

Started by Laloom83, May 04, 2021, 08:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laloom83

Hey folks. I have a vortex venom red dot on one of Turkey guns and I really like it. I'm looking to put something on my old Remington 870 12 gauge. Should I go with another vortex venom or the leupold VX Freedom?  Also should I have the gun drilled and tapped or buy one of those saddle type adapters.  Show me pics of your 870 setups. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmart241

Meadow Creek rib mount and vortex really like mine on 870

Gmed

The only "scope eye" I ever got was from a turkey gun. Removed the scope and now have red dots on all my turkey guns....

ScottTaulbee

With a scope you'll get a scar and a story like this

knifeshark

You are correct sir! But every time you look at that scar you'll think of that bird and how you got it, not a bad trade-off. I hunted with a scope for many years and never got to go bad because I set the scope well forward on my gun. I just switched over to a sigsauer Romeo five circle dot and love it. I'm using a Weaver style base. Nice bird by the way!

Boykin Hollow

I have three burris fastfires ,  no scope for me

Number17

Used a scope for many years through the 90' and 2000's. Switched over to a Red dot and have no desire to ever use anything else. I have 2 Fastfires and a Bushnell AR red dot that I really like.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

davisd9

If you are getting busted by a scope on your turkey gun then you are not properly shouldering it or not setting the scope correctly.  I have used a scope for a good many years then went back to bead/rifle sights.  Next year I plan to try a Vortex venom because of weight with a scope.  It is really a personal choice and good luck.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

CALLM2U

No scopes on shotguns for me.  Too many weird angles and I don't like the limited FOV. 

Drill and tap with a reflex sight is my preference. 

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: knifeshark on May 05, 2021, 04:33:55 AM
You are correct sir! But every time you look at that scar you'll think of that bird and how you got it, not a bad trade-off. I hunted with a scope for many years and never got to go bad because I set the scope well forward on my gun. I just switched over to a sigsauer Romeo five circle dot and love it. I'm using a Weaver style base. Nice bird by the way!

It was my biggest bird to date, he weighed 16 pounds, no breast sponge and had worn most the feathers off his breast and under side, I considered mounting him but he was so rough looking I told myself I'd have his beard, Spurs, fan. And with this scar I'd never forget him lol. I had the cut and two black eyes and told my wife I'd do it all over again in a heart beat lol.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: davisd9 on May 05, 2021, 08:38:04 AM
If you are getting busted by a scope on your turkey gun then you are not properly shouldering it or not setting the scope correctly.  I have used a scope for a good many years then went back to bead/rifle sights.  Next year I plan to try a Vortex venom because of weight with a scope.  It is really a personal choice and good luck.
That's what happened to me, I'm a right handed shooter, this bird came running in after being hung up for 20 minutes where I couldn't see him. When he hit the logging road where I could see him he was at 26 yards and full speed running my way, I lost him twice in the scope and the third time I got him in it I shot and managed to cut above my left eye. There was no way I had my head set correctly on the gun

stinkpickle

Red dots are so much lighter than scopes.

Gmed

Quote from: davisd9 on May 05, 2021, 08:38:04 AM

My scope was set fine, but I was twisted around trying to shoot steep off my left side. Red dots, you don't worry about that or eye relief.