News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

States with good populations

Started by Sanders153, May 04, 2021, 06:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanders153

Hey fellas,

I looking to hunt away from my home state of Oklahoma next year, and I've never never done that. What are some states that have a good bird numbers from everyone's experiences? I don't want to take anyone's spots or anything, I'm just looking for some places where I can hear gobbles again and have a decent chance of finding turkeys. Any help/feedback would be deeply appreciated

saltysenior

good turkey numbers in lots of states......it's where you can hunt in them that counts...

deerhunt1988

According to YouTube, Tennessee is the place to be!

Meleagris gallopavo

Northeastern NC and Southeastern VA.  That's where I live and hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Roost 1

Posts like these are the reason good states get over-hunted.... good luck with search.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Roost 1 on May 07, 2021, 08:28:12 PM
Posts like these are the reason good states get over-hunted.... good luck with search.

Southerngobbler

I heard there was one left in Florida, it hasn't really been confirmed. It might have just been another big foot.

Sanders153

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 07, 2021, 09:36:43 PM
Quote from: Roost 1 on May 07, 2021, 08:28:12 PM

Not looking to hurt another state or move in anyone's turf.. Would just like to hear a gobble again, and actually have somewhat of a chance to enjoy turkey hunting with birds around again is all

quavers59

Arkansas has a good population.  Make a Beeline for that State next Spring.

catman529

There's a whole lotta states with great numbers of birds. It will take some homework to find out which part of which state to hunt. The Midwest, northeast and southeast all have great turkey hunting for easterns. But there are some areas that don't have many birds. Many states publish county and/or WMA harvest data to get a general idea. Just keep in mind, if harvest numbers are really high, you're gonna have a lot of company in the woods. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spitten and drummen

Alaska. I hear the pressure on turkeys there is low.

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Sanders153

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on May 08, 2021, 10:49:28 AM
Try Alaska. I heard that there

Alaska. I hear the pressure on turkeys there is low.

I am sure it is.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

shatcher

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Sanders153 on May 04, 2021, 06:29:17 PM
Hey fellas,

I looking to hunt away from my home state of Oklahoma next year, and I've never never done that. What are some states that have a good bird numbers from everyone's experiences? I don't want to take anyone's spots or anything, I'm just looking for some places where I can hear gobbles again and have a decent chance of finding turkeys. Any help/feedback would be deeply appreciated

Info your getting is not very helpful. Turkey hunters are worse then fisherman about their favorte areas and spots. I would not expect to much help here. However, its simple to research on the internet. If your interested in a guided hunt start calling outfitters or you may have better luck asking for recommeded outfitters. DIY, there is tons of public land and a good start is to pick a state and a sub species and start callin on biologists, game wardens or if you can visit an area talk to locals. It can be time consuming but fun. If your determined you will find the info you need. I have hunted several states for turkeys and deer through internet research. But like in poker no one is going to show you their hand and the info you get is always suspect. You may have noticed we have a bunch of jokers on this site. LOL
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.