turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mountain lion

Started by turkey_slayer, May 04, 2021, 12:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey_slayer

First morning in Nebraska and had a once in lifetime experience. Long story short, I roosted a bird last night. Just got to him right before light cause I picked the wrong drainage that was full of blowdowns. After backing up and swinging around it was getting just about light enough for him to see me. I'd been hearing 2 yotes a pretty good ways off, prob a mile, howling and barking nonstop. They cut down the distance within minutes and I can see there silhouettes. I'm thinking great that's prob going to screw up the bird.

Well they cut up where I just walked and all hell breaks lose. I'm thinking they're just fighting. After a few minutes 4 more yotes come up by me and when they get there it's like nothing I've ever heard. I hear claws on bark and see something going up. I'm actually thinking wow, didn't know yotes could climb then I see the long tail lol.

They carry on for almost an hour and a half. I can see the gobbler and he's just watching like me. Finally the cat takes off and the yotes follow and tree him below me but a few hundred yards. I can see a hen at this point and she's not paying them any mind and he finally gobbles up above me. I see him and range him at 180 yards across two small gullies.

I run out of breath calling and he finally breaks and comes in on a string while the cat and yotes are settling their dispute. I shoot him mid gobble and that silenced everything. Prob never experience anything like that again. Got the whole thing on video as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

grayfox

Wow! What a story. Sounds like you will remember that hunt for a long time.

JeffC

Hunt of a lifetime !! Congrats on getting the Tom, don't know if I would've stayed around with all the predator's, not enough shells in gun..I quess it was just another day in the life of a turkey.   
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

joey46

congrats?  Great story.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Congrats enjoyed the story and the pictures

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

nebgoosehunter

Wow, incredible story!

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

tal

By golly somebody beat that story! LOL.. Better than any of my stories. I was almost eaten by a cougar and then by a pack of coyotes. Still got the bird.

bear hunter

Greg Massey

Quote from: tal on May 04, 2021, 02:48:01 PM
By golly somebody beat that story! LOL.. Better than any of my stories. I was almost eaten by a cougar and then by a pack of coyotes. Still got the bird.
X2  .. That story need to be on the front cover of Field & Stream... WOW... congrats nice gobbler

TrackeySauresRex

Crazy hunt! Congrats on on the Tom.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

turkey_slayer

Watched the vid and here's a few stills. Cat comes from the backside of the knoll. All of the yotes are on that side except 1. He runs the cat back over and a fight commences then he goes up the tree

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tom007

Not much will top that, wow, congrats on the experience, and great bird.....

g8rvet

Yeah, that is a crazy story.  Very cool to video it and even more cool you killed the bird. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

3bailey3

amazing hunt!! congrats on your bird!!