OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Is this a bad idea?  (Read 956 times)

Offline Tally Turkey

Is this a bad idea?
« on: May 03, 2021, 12:04:18 PM »
Would like y'alls opinion on this:

I have a couple 12 gauge Mossberg pumps laying around that I don't do anything with. Thinking about turning one of them into a turkey gun with camo and potentially new sights. I would also like to experiment with 28 gauge and .410 loads and was thinking about buying barrel tubes for one of these 12 gauges so I can have the flexibility to shoot a variety of loads out of one gun. Assuming I can find the tubes with the necessary choke restriction for turkeys, what are some potential downsides to this? I haven't used barrel tubes before but would think they function pretty well.

Offline BandedSpur

Re: Is this a bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 07:54:34 AM »
If you are talking about tube inserts like those used for skeet, I don't think the mfgs will recommend shooting turkey loads through them. The 28 ga tubes are designed for 3/4 oz target loads and the .410 for 1/2 oz loads. Turkey loads could easily be twice that heavy. By all means, contact the mfg and ask them, but I personally think it is a bad idea. I have heard of tube sets cracking from shooting target loads (albeit from a lot more shooting than you will ever do with turkey loads).