OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Franchi 20 ga turkey  (Read 4151 times)

Offline SCSWAMP

Franchi 20 ga turkey
« on: May 02, 2021, 08:23:32 PM »
Anybody gotten one yet? Tried to place an order with my local dealer and they said they couldn’t place an order yet because they were so behind. Just curious on how people like them if anybody has had a chance to get their hands on them.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Franchi 20 ga turkey
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 08:42:04 PM »
Got one last week, after looking and 125 mile round trip to get it from a dealer. It's the Fanchi Affinity Elite 3 turkey. Have not shot it yet.. but it's awesome gun...

Offline Gmed

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 08:49:02 PM »
All kinds on Gunbroker of the Elites.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/shotguns/franchi-affinity-35-mossy-oak-bottomland-20-gauge-3in-semi-automatic-shotgun-24in/p/1687555

There are the mossy oak bottomlands in stock.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 08:51:32 PM »
All kinds on Gunbroker
They are few on gunbroker, but after fee's and shipping that makes a lot of difference in price, and i like supporting these small dealers close to my area...

Offline Gmed

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 08:53:24 PM »
Agree 100% local if ya can find em. Gunbroker doesn’t save ya any money either, so I go local when I can....

Post some pattern picks out of it when you shoot. I am looking hard at the same gun.....

Offline twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 08:56:02 PM »
The affinity turkey or turkey elite?  I’ve had the elite in my hands two different times at my local dealer and can’t seem to make myself pull the trigger and buy it.  The affinity turkey is $2-300 less than the elite, and I’m not sure I see enough differences in the 2 other than it comes with 2 Rhino chokes. The other features of the “elite” don’t matter to me, and who knows if the included chokes will actually give the best pattern for the shells you choose.  I’m not a huge fan of the subalpine camo either.
The only reason I haven’t bought one or the other though is that I don’t like the giant front and back fiber optics.  I’m worried if I pull off the pic rail and put a low profile mount on, that I’ll see those things in my view.
If they’d have used a standard ribbed barrel I’d own one now. 
Otherwise they both feel fantastic with the pistol grip and are drilled and tapped for optics, as well as having adjustable fiber optics.  I just hate the big fiber optics they used, but I’m still considering the standard turkey (not elite) in 20ga bottomland.

Offline SCSWAMP

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 09:04:41 PM »
I am interested in the affinity turkey in mossy oak bottomland. I can’t justify the extra money for the elite plus I don’t like the camo pattern. For the guys that have held them or own them, are the fiber optic sights screwed on? I definitely don’t have a need for them as I will run a FF3. I would like to make the barrel smooth so I don’t have to worry about them potentially in my sight picture.

Offline twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2021, 09:10:33 PM »
They are not removable, that was the first thing I looked at.  Well, the front black round shroud is removable and the actual fiber is removable, but the giant metal piece in the front and back that the fiber sits on is not.  That’s the very reason I don’t own one.  I run a kingslayer and I don’t want to see that big mess in my view.  The guy at Franchi that I talked to said it wouldn’t be in the view, but I can’t see how it wouldn’t, especially the front rifle sight metal part, even if you take off the shroud and the fiber.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 09:45:21 PM »
You have to think, you have a gun without a rib, now if you have a gun with a rib and sights your looking about at the same in height... it very close to being the same, without rib and sights and rib with sights.. the camo pattern on the Elite is very nice, if you have not seen one in person, how came you judge if you don't like it or not?  Nothing wrong with the Elite camo at all in my opinion... A lot of judgement calls about the Elite, but you just need to see the gun in person, and how do you know if the chokes with the gun want perform, again your making assumptions that you don't know, it's no different in buying another gun, you pretty much choke the gun depending on the shell your choosing to shoot regardless.

Offline twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2021, 09:59:24 PM »
These 2 pieces can be taken off, the shroud and the fiber optic, which is screwed to the top of that ramp/rifle sight metal piece.   I imagine you could probably see over the back sight, but I'm just not sure I want that ramp in my field of view through a reflex sight.   Maybe since that barrel they use isn't ribbed, the sights don't stick up as high as they appear to, but there really is no way to know until you put an optic on it and take off that shroud.   

Edit: Greg typed his response as I was typing, and basically said the same thing in regards to ribbed vs not, I really can't tell how tall that front ramp is or if it would be in the way, and don't know that you could tell until you throw an optic up there.
I have seen the camo in person and held the gun several times - I don't care for the camo either.  The cerakote is nice, but I'm just not a sitka subalpine fan personally.  There isn't anything wrong with it, it's just not my thing.   I much prefer the cerakote/bottomland they used on the standard Affinity 3.5, or just bottomland like what's on the regular affinity/affinity turkey.

I'm still on the hunt for a new turkey gun myself, and keep coming back to these guns, but I also keep looking at the standard affinity 3 20ga in bottomland.   It's $799, and I'll just add a pistol grip down the road one day.  Franchi told me they should be available next year.   The pistol grip is awesome, but it may just be something I add later vs. getting the "turkey" model and dealing with removing stuff that's in my way.  I really wish they'd have made it exactly like the Tristar Viper G2 Turkey. To me, that's the perfect design.  If Benelli/Franchi made this I'd buy it tomorrow regardless of price. 
  Since they don't, I'll probably end up getting the standard Affinity, and buying a pistol grip down the road.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 10:13:19 PM by twyatt »

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2021, 10:20:36 PM »
Tristar viper g2 are nice guns, i have one in 410, but i have to say the bolt system is not the same and that gun doesn't feel as good as the Franchi, you can't beat the bolt system in the Franchi or Benelli.. but I've not handled the viper in 20 ga.  Regardless it's hard to find guns period... MY opinion buy what you want, i wanted a top of the line gun and that's what i found in the Franchi Elite 3

Offline twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2021, 10:30:26 PM »
Not to derail the thread, but that's why I don't own the Tristar.  I agree 100% about the Franchi/Benelli being better all around.
And you certainly got a top of the line gun, there's no doubting that.  I was just sharing my findings and why I didn't buy it myself.  Simply the fact that I'm going to pull off the rail, put a Sumtoy or other low profile mount on it, and a reflex sight.  I'm concerned that the front and back sights they used are going to be in my way.   I have no doubts about the quality of the gun itself.  I'm fairly certain I'll end up with some version of the Affinity myself.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2021, 10:35:40 PM »
Not to derail the thread, but that's why I don't own the Tristar.  I agree 100% about the Franchi/Benelli being better all around.
And you certainly got a top of the line gun, there's no doubting that.  I was just sharing my findings and why I didn't buy it myself.  Simply the fact that I'm going to pull off the rail, put a Sumtoy or other low profile mount on it, and a reflex sight.  I'm concerned that the front and back sights they used are going to be in my way.   I have no doubts about the quality of the gun itself.  I'm fairly certain I'll end up with some version of the Affinity myself.
  I agree with you, I saw also a low profile weaver mount on the forum, that would also fit the gun.. that looked like good option also for the rail..

Offline SCSWAMP

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 06:03:07 AM »
Well I was able to find the affinity 3 turkey in 20 ga online at sportsman’s warehouse for $849 plus taxes which put it at like $925. Cheaper than any of my local dealers priced it at. They are shipping it to my local store for free and will be here in about 2 weeks. I will update once I get it here.

Offline JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2021, 08:36:16 AM »
Ive been looking at the Affinity at Sportsman's since last year, 2 1/2 hr ride to closest store, agree with Greg, need to hold and feel before buying. Every time I go back and look they sell out. I guess after season I will just buy, then run up there and decide if its the gun I want. Good luck with it, keep us updated.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr