turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Snake boots

Started by ScottTaulbee, May 02, 2021, 08:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottTaulbee

Been looking at getting a pair of non rubber boots, I've worn lacrosse grange and muck woody max boots for 17 years probably, I recently started hunting the Daniel Boone National forest, I'm not used to hunting snakey areas. I personally didn't see one but have been told the area I'm in is pretty thick with rattlers. So I'm looking to branch off from the rubber boots and get some leather. I've been looking at the Twisted X moccasin toe snake boots. The only water I cross is about ankle to shin deep and it's a small creek. I'm just looking for something that won't be as hot as the rubber and more comfortable for the miles in the mountains. Any suggestions? Or experience with the twisted x snake boots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowboy

I bought a pair of Danner's Vital in mossy oak this season for myself and wife. Have to say, they were comfortable from day 1. I've had Rocky snake boots in the past and seemed like they were hard to break in and ran small for me. Twisted X make good cowboy boots and had several of them  but I've never tried their snake boots. Probably a good product as well.

MissLouHunter

Chippewa Snakeboots best I have had so far

wchadw

They are pricey but I love my Russell's lighter and cooler than rubber snake boots

Dtrkyman

Russell will out last 5 pairs of others

pdaugherty

Get the Russell's, buy once and cry once you will not regret it.

ScottTaulbee

I've been eye balling the Russell's. I've heard some say they've had theirs 25 years. If they last that long then it'd also be the cheaper option than buying new every 3 or 4 years

bobk

My Russell's are nearly 30 years old. I keep them clean, apply  Obenauf's regularly ,and have had Russell's resole them . They are still in good condition and I wear them regularly. These are all leather boots.

ScottTaulbee

They definitely seem like the way to go, I've been looking at them hard, I'm torn between the turkey hunter they make and the hart turkey hunter that is snake proof. I'm not a fan of the zipper on the harts but I like how they are snake proof.

bobk

A suggestion, give Russell a call and discuss your requirements.  They have always been good to deal with and offer good options to consider.

wchadw

Quote from: bobk on May 05, 2021, 05:20:00 PM
A suggestion, give Russell a call and discuss your requirements.  They have always been good to deal with and offer good options to consider.
X2

wchadw

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on May 05, 2021, 05:16:12 PM
They definitely seem like the way to go, I've been looking at them hard, I'm torn between the turkey hunter they make and the hart turkey hunter that is snake proof. I'm not a fan of the zipper on the harts but I like how they are snake proof.

Zipper makes them easy on/easy off. I have Harts with water proof zips. My feet don't get wet but I don't stand in creeks. I have short laces from bottom up to 6th eye or so and speed laces from bottom down to ankle. I untie bottom and unzip and can take them off and on

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: wchadw on May 05, 2021, 06:06:44 PM

Zipper makes them easy on/easy off. I have Harts with water proof zips. My feet don't get wet but I don't stand in creeks. I have short laces from bottom up to 6th eye or so and speed laces from bottom down to ankle. I untie bottom and unzip and can take them off and on

Most I would be doing is walking across a creek that's about shin deep, that's the most water I see

wchadw

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on May 05, 2021, 06:13:02 PM

Most I would be doing is walking across a creek that's about shin deep, that's the most water I see

Zipper starts at ankle so if you stand in it too long your feet might get wet? I wax mine up real good with the obanafs. I jump over small creeks. But I've been rained on and walked thru wet fields up to ankle or so and haven't gotten wet. But I'm in MS so if they got wet I wouldn't worry about it since it's usually warm

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: wchadw on May 05, 2021, 06:58:27 PM
Quote from: ScottTaulbee on May 05, 2021, 06:13:02 PM

Zipper starts at ankle so if you stand in it too long your feet might get wet? I wax mine up real good with the obanafs. I jump over small creeks. But I've been rained on and walked thru wet fields up to ankle or so and haven't gotten wet. But I'm in MS so if they got wet I wouldn't worry about it since it's usually warm

I'm in KY, it might be 90 at 8:30am or it might be 32 and snowing. Both in the same week lol