News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi Shot Mag Blend Problem

Started by gatrapper, May 01, 2021, 10:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrapper

Hey Y'all,

I opened a new box of Hevi Shot Mag Blend this morning before I hit the woods. When I finished up, I unloaded the gun and put the shells in my pocket.  When I got home I take the shells out and when I reach in to grab the last shell I feed a bunch of junk in the bottom of my pocket.  I figured a bunch of dirt or something got in there when I was sitting down today.  When I pull out the shell, its practically empty and my pocket is full of shot and SEEDS.  I've never had a shell open up on me like this.  Thank God I didn't shoot my gun this morning. 

Can anyone explain this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHF69T-uDCs
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

RemingtonRules

They have been known to leak flax seed but I have not seen one lose shot.  I would contact them.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Poor crimp on the shell would be my guess.
You can put a little fingernail polish on the crimp of the others should help to seal them.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

grayfox

A few years ago I did have one or two Hevi-13 #7 shells to leak a tad bit but nothing like that. I melted a little wax & put on the hole & sealed it. I would definitely contact the company.

paboxcall

Quote from: grayfox on May 01, 2021, 11:45:29 AM
A few years ago I did have one or two Hevi-13 #7 shells to leak a tad bit but nothing like that. I melted a little wax & put on the hole & sealed it. I would definitely contact the company.

Definitely sounds like a bad crimp job. A common problem with Hevi. Guess they expect us to finish the crimp job for them.  :z-dizzy:

I did what grayfox suggested for my Hevi #7s after finding bunch of buffer leaked from one of the shells in my pocket. Used a birthday candle and dripped a little bit of wax on the crimp, that kept the buffer from leaking out.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

yelpy

Try putting a little rtv on the crimps on the other shells. Should hold you over for now. Id be careful how you carry them also. I've had federal shells do the same. 

Wvdanimal

Very common for them. So much in fact that I was overly thrilled to dump them for modern TSS loads. I still have a bunch and do love them but I'd never buy from them again since they can't seem to figure this issue out. For the price of anything htl, you shouldn't have to seal/wax anything.

wvmntnhick

I placed a small dab of hot glue on mine. Never had an issue after. Didn't realize they were using seeds. Mine leaked buffer like it was their job. That alone was enough to change my patterns with them. So, I just stopped buying them. Opening a box and watching buffet go flying everywhere told me everything I needed to know shot their quality control. How much does an overshot card really cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShootingABN!

wow seeds man seeds....

So are you going to send them an email or call them?

Keep us posted.

maddog3355

I haven't bought any hevishot for 10 years or so but back then the crimps were shotty. Some of the shot column came up good where the crimp was somewhat level but some of them was low on shot and the crimp was angled down leaving a hole for buffer to leak. I only saw one that was leaking shot. I did the ole candle wax trick and resealed them all. I never called or emailed the company became at the time they were the best around and you couldn't get them everywhere now they are not the best but not the worst either.