Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Interference

Started by FullChoke, April 30, 2021, 04:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

I have been reading about the problems that you guys have been having with interference from deer while hunting the bird.

Well, I see your few deer and raise you 23 cattle.

Yesterday I slipped back to the field to try one last time to get the other longbeard to commit to ultimate participation in a delicious sandwich. The herd of cattle were in the back field where the turkeys normally cross in the afternoon on their way to roost. I slipped in quietly, set up the hen and strutter decoys out about 35 yards away and settled in to wait for the show and my cue. I had been there about an hour when the herd decided to mosey over and chat up the new neighbors that had always been, well frankly, so un-neighborly in the past. They got closer and closer and eventually were standing in a semi-circle about 5 yards from the imposters. One bright contender for Miss Bovine Congeniality actually eased up to the hen and kissed her right on the beak! When the foam faker reacted to this unasked for girl-on-girl action by spinning on the stake, the herd snorted, jumped and wheeled at the same time and left the two love birds to consummate their own plans of debauchery.

I didn't see the longbeard, but at about 7:10 three hens made their way across the field just like they usually did. With the cows providing the only real exhibition this afternoon, I sat until dark-30 and finally pulled the plug on another wonderful and eventful Mississippi turkey season.

I love this sport. Cheers my brothers.   ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

TKE921

My father-in-law showed me to pick up a decoy and spin it on the stake while moving towards the cows.  I am not sure exactly what all cows fear, but I know for sure one is a camo hunter spinning a decoy.  Never in my life did I see cows run away so fast from anything.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.