OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

building a single shot?

Started by Franklin7x57, April 30, 2021, 08:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franklin7x57

Looking at the savage 20 gauge 301 turkey and looks good on paper, but some of the reviews aren't. I have my first shotgun, a 50 year old 20 gauge, is it economical to tap and drill for a red dot, thread for choke and studs for sling?

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

I've thought about taking a old single shot and doing the same thing. It really depends how fond you are of your shotgun. You can save some money building it if you can do some of the work yourself. I figure you could build one for about the same cost as buying a new single shot.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

lowoctane

Quote from: lowoctane on April 30, 2021, 09:11:22 AM
Revelation by Savage, 12ga x 3", barrel shortened to 21" and threaded for Remchokes, forcing cone lengthened, scope base installed, Bushnell red dot, weighs right at 5lb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Greg Massey

By the time you buy the gun or regardless if you already have the gun, with threading, barrel cut off, drilled for optic and aftermarket choke, just buy yourself a better gun.. IMO...

lowoctane

Well, I took the gun in a trade, so don't have much in it, and had it threaded for Remchokes of which I have plenty, I had the recoil pad and shell holder, I believe that I spent around 180$ before I bought the Bushnell red dot...it's probably the best patterning gun I own and with a change of a choke tube I can accommodate the changes in ammo recipes quite nicely. The fact that it weighs so little is a plus and it being so short makes it a dream in a turkey blind or pop up. It's hammered everything that's got in it's sights too! If I've got 250$ in this killer that's a lot!   :camohat:

Bragging rights: I'd put this up against any hunting gun shooting Longbeard 3"x6's at the same distance!
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

tnanh

In my opinion sometimes we have guns we have either outgrown or advanced away from. Usually some of our first guns that have sentimental value and are a lot of times single shots. With sentimental value we dont want to change anything and take them out every few years just to look at and then put them back up. Why not make them into a turkey gun and use them. It builds more sentimental value when they kill a turkey with you and even more when they kill a turkey with one of your kids or someone you care about.