OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New Dedicated Turkey Rig  (Read 4050 times)

Offline Mnpublichunter

New Dedicated Turkey Rig
« on: April 29, 2021, 09:09:22 PM »
Looking to set up a dedicated turkey gun. I currently use a blued 11-87 with a Rem Choke slug barrel, which is also my primary grouse/pheasant gun (with a field barrel of course).

I see enough change in POI when changing out the barrels every year that I am spending a small fortune on Turkey shells annually sighting in, and who knows how long this shortage will last. I’d also like something camo.

What would be your pick with these requirements:

1. 12 ga, 3 inch or more, Under $1000 total package, including optics and camo dipping if necessary.

2. A nice trigger or can be made nice. I have nerve damage to my trigger finger so something decent in the 3-5 lb range is more than a rifle shooter’s preference or nice to have.

3. Preferably camo from the factory (I can be persuaded to send it off myself). FYI my one experience with Crerakote says a lot depends on who is doing the application. Harder to fix if done wrong so no thanks.

4. Prefer adjustable sights over optics for simplicity, one less thing to break, and the fact that they aren’t really needed for this short range game. If I’m forced to use optics due to no or crummy (Mossberg) sights, still need to come in under $1000

5. Not a POS with too many plastic parts, build quality issues, or common feeding problems. Rules out a lot of newer used Remingtons. Also rules out the savage bolt guns, which seem to have feeding issues (there is a reason a 30-06 has a taper, it aids in feeding in a 1903 Springfield).

Where I am currently leaning:

1. Camo dip my 11-87 and buy a new, better automatic for the uplands. Probably run $1500 for or so for both the new gun and camo dipping the 11-87 given my tastes (I’d like a Farbarm L4S or beretta without a pogo recoil reducer).

2. I have a Rem Choke slug barrel for an 870, so find a nice condition 870 Wingmaster or special purpose (no thanks on an express, at least a newer one), find a synthetic stock combo, and have it camo dipped (ballpark $1000 project).

3. Find a nice condition 870 turkey model locally (no gunbroker) ready to go. Might require some patience.

4. Find a nice Ithaca Turkey Slayer. Likely more patience. They won’t make me a new one in 12 ga, FYI.

Open to suggestions. Not against a Mossberg 835, Winchester SXP, or others, but from what I gather the trigger adjustability can be limited on the two examples I gave. I’ve read mixed reviews on the spring kits for mossbergs, for example.

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: New Dedicated Turkey Rig
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 09:30:16 PM »
My first question is what kind of turkey ammo are you planning on shooting ?

Offline Mnpublichunter

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 09:41:25 PM »

Something non-toxic (not against lead range or patterns, but my choice for other reasons). I currently shoot APEX TSS #9 2oz out of an Indian creek .675 (likely to be a factory full going forward, I don’t want to shoot to 70 yards, even if I can). Have done hevi13, found the lot to lot consistency poor. Don’t like the flight control wads in Federals. Wish the browning TSS came in #9 only.

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 09:45:29 PM »

Something non-toxic (not against lead range or patterns, but my choice for other reasons). I currently shoot APEX TSS #9 2oz out of an Indian creek .675 (likely to be a factory full going forward, I don’t want to shoot to 70 yards, even if I can). Have done hevi13, found the lot to lot consistency poor. Don’t like the flight control wads in Federals. Wish the browning TSS came in #9 only.
  So you definitely want a 12 ga.?      Pistol grip stock or no pistol grip stock?

Offline Mnpublichunter

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 10:24:11 PM »

So you definitely want a 12 ga.?      Pistol grip stock or no pistol grip stock?

I know a 20 ga will work with modern chokes and loads, but I like the long term selection of 12 ga loads as fads change.

The pistol grip depends on the safety... a safety near the trigger guard works for a pistol grip, but a Mossberg style thumb safety requires too much movement when using a pistol grip. Otherwise no preference.

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 11:33:11 PM »
Look at the Stoeger website for the pistol grip 12 ga. turkey ...M3500 is 2 3/4, 3 qnd 3.5 or Tristar viper G2 in 12 ga. 3 inch.

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 04:03:07 PM »
I was going to suggest Stoeger or Franchi Affinity 3 or 3.5

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 04:29:50 PM »
Stoeger makes quality for the $, IMHO, and should get you under your estimate.  :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline Snoodsniper

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 05:20:15 PM »
I think the Weatherby SA-459 is worth a look. Reasonably priced and they feel great in the hands. I will have one in 20 gauge as soon as they become available again.

Offline twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 06:09:55 PM »
I vote no on keeping/dipping the 1187.  I have one and it's a tank to carry around the turkey woods. 
835 will smash turkeys, but smash you as well.

I'd look at the Franchi Affinity 3.   They are drilled and tapped in case you wanted to add optics, and they are offered in Bottomland, and typically in the $899 range. They also offer it with a pistol grip as well as adjustable fiber optics on the turkey models.

I'm not familiar with Ithaca, but my buddy has a Stoeger that doesn't shoot POA and doesn't have adjustable sights, although I'm sure some sort can be added.

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 06:20:21 PM »

I know a 20 ga will work with modern chokes and loads, but I like the long term selection of 12 ga loads as fads change.

There is great information on this site. Visit the pattern page. You will get some great ideas for sure. The other thing... It’s not a fad. 20’s are the real deal!  You don’t have to spend 1k to have a great set up JMO :anim_25:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline Mnpublichunter

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2021, 10:29:46 PM »
I vote no on keeping/dipping the 1187.  I have one and it's a tank to carry around the turkey woods. 
835 will smash turkeys, but smash you as well.

I'd look at the Franchi Affinity 3.   They are drilled and tapped in case you wanted to add optics, and they are offered in Bottomland, and typically in the $899 range. They also offer it with a pistol grip as well as adjustable fiber optics on the turkey models.

I haul the 11-87 at the ready through field and forest chasing upland birds with my Springer for miles at a time. I wouldn’t mind a lighter weight auto for the fall. While turkey hunting it spends most of its time slung over my shoulder. I think this is one shotgun sport, along with waterfowl, where the weight doesn’t matter that much. And to your point on the the 835 blasting you, weight absorbs recoil. Sighting in with 2 oz tss loads doesn’t hurt given the weight and gas system.

I’ll check out the Franchi if I can find one to look at in person. At face value, the only downside I can see is the possibility of  the “Benelli click”. I like to have the option of not letting the bolt slam into battery (staying quiet) while turkey hunting.  Are the triggers generally decent?

Offline Mnpublichunter

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2021, 10:33:23 PM »
I think the Weatherby SA-459 is worth a look. Reasonably priced and they feel great in the hands. I will have one in 20 gauge as soon as they become available again.

The Weatherby looks like a good/ modestly priced option. It sounds like the Tristar G2 referenced above is a clone. I’ll see if I can check one out.

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2021, 11:04:16 PM »

The Weatherby looks like a good/ modestly priced option. It sounds like the Tristar G2 referenced above is a clone. I’ll see if I can check one out.
The Weatherby SA 459 has been discontinued

Offline Snoodsniper

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2021, 04:59:11 AM »

The Weatherby SA 459 has been discontinued
That's a bummer. Hopefully they come out with something to replace it.