OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Snake Boots

Started by GunRunner, April 29, 2021, 03:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunRunner

My hunting partner bought a pair of Irish Setter Vaportec lace up snake boots last year. He was/is super impressed with how comfortable and light they are and claims they are like wearing sneakers.

Naturally I bought a pair of the ISV's when it was time this year to replace my 5 year old BassPro Snake Boots.  I sent them back because they were too tall for me. They are listed as 17 inch boots and the tops of the boot were right on the centerline of my knee bends in the back and almost an inch higher on the front of the knee. I figured that when laced up and I was sitting, squatting, or climbing they would bother me and possibly even cut off my circulation when sitting for long periods. I am 5' 9.5".  The old Bass Pro boots measured just over 15 " at the top. Maybe I just have shorter lower legs than average guys at my height.  My buddy is 6' 1" and they are below his knee bends. I see where the Danner boots are also listed as 17 " boots.

Maybe I overreacted. Have any of you shorter guys run into this?  If so did the boot height become an issue for you?

GunRunner
:turkey:

CALLM2U

It very well may be due to build as I'm 5'8 and have the Irish Setter Vaprtrek boot and they hit below the knee on me. 

I just measured mine and they are 17 inches from the bottom of the ole to the top of the boot. 

Cowboy

I bought a pair of the Danners couple of weeks ago. I'm little over 5' 8". Love mine. No issues with height as far as I can tell.

ShootingABN!

Can't answer your question.

I got a new pair of Rocky's everyone said they would leak... Yep right at fifty hours worn and the leaked.

Yoder409

Like to help you............ but I'm 5' 14" and my ISV's fit perfectly.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Big Jeremy

I have the danner vitals, but I'm 6'3". I've never had that problem. They've been fantastic boots, though I hardly ever wear them. Usually roll with hikers and snake proof gaiters. Lighter weight and not quite as hot. The vitals are the most comfortable snake boots for my feet that I've had, though. I tried the Irish Setters, but they just didn't fit my feet well.

I've never had a pair of Danners that I regretted.  I'll probably end up selling my current ones but not because I don't like them...just don't ever wear them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rifleman

I have an older pair of the Danner Pronghorn snake boots.  I continue to use them in dry conditions as they started leaking about the second year of use.  They are old now are are hard on my feet.  I was disappointed in their leaking.  I have a pair of the Vitals in 8" that I got for fall hunting, same thing with them, leaked quickly.  I am looking again but considering a good mid-height mountain boot and snake chaps.  Hopeful of less hassle with boot leaking and weight.

StruttinGobbler3

Danner sharptail snake boots. They're the best I've tried, lightweight, waterproof, and extremely comfortable. They've served me well the last few years and carried me to many gobblers, in different states. I think they would be hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

roberthyman14

They will all leak,  you need to keep spraying them with a silicone water repellent. I spray mine about every 2-3 weeks.   I have Irish setter vaportreck.  I'm gonna try the danner boots this season.  I've had my Irish setters going on 5 seasons.  They get plenty of use.  Anytime I'm scouting or working at the farm I wear them.  Then starting mid October until mid April I wear them every weekend hunting. 

Prostaff member for Old Crow Custom Calls

MissLouHunter

Chippewa Snakeboots had them for 8 years now, still no leaks!

Tomfoolery

I have the Irish Setters and they are very comfortable and I wear them all seasons, deer, squirrel, and Turkey. 3rd season and they finally started leaking. But after i sat down and stretched my legs out this season and this was between my feet, they give me a little extra security.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

wchadw

Quote from: Tomfoolery on May 05, 2021, 11:45:03 AM
I have the Irish Setters and they are very comfortable and I wear them all seasons, deer, squirrel, and Turkey. 3rd season and they finally started leaking. But after i sat down and stretched my legs out this season and this was between my feet, they give me a little extra security.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Yikes. I about had a heart attack when a black runner slithered past my feet a couple weeks ago. Ha. Took a few minutes to realize it wasn't a moccasin
I wear Russell turkey hunters. Never had a strike on them. Thankfully. Hate snakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk