OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Alpha Gal--Tick Bite--Who Has It?

Started by gatrapper, April 29, 2021, 02:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrapper

Gergg,

Could you go get tested again to check your levels?  I plan on doing that every year to keep track to see if they are lowering.
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

bbcoach

I know about Lyme and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever from ticks but what is this Alpha Gal?  Sounds like we ALL need to make sure we GET OUR PERMETHRIN ON!

gatrapper

"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

davisd9

Permethrin is great and works but it is not the end all be all it is sometimes made out to be. It is an insecticide that kills ticks within time. If you are not tucking your pants and taking other measures you can still be bit. Take all the precautions: treat clothes with permethrin, tuck your pants in your boots, tuck in your shirt, and I like to spray my waist hat, and top of boots with OFF with 40% deet.

I just got back from Kansas and while there I got complacent one time and did not tuck my pants in my boots or spray with deet and I got ticks on me. My clothes were freshly treated with Permethrin before I left but it did not stop them completely. There are small things that can protect us but you have to take the time to do all the steps all the time.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

briton

I work for a forestry consulting business and i am in the woods every day 8-10 hrs a day. I am pulling them off of me every day of all kinds and sizes, nothing stops them after you sweat it off, I find them in my truck, on my hats, in my dirty clothes, everywhere. If I wasn't able to eat mammal meat I don't think I could survive. Seriously considering looking for another job after reading this thread and thinking about thinking how terrible it would be

aclawrence

Quote from: briton on April 30, 2021, 03:57:17 PM
I work for a forestry consulting business and i am in the woods every day 8-10 hrs a day. I am pulling them off of me every day of all kinds and sizes, nothing stops them after you sweat it off, I find them in my truck, on my hats, in my dirty clothes, everywhere. If I wasn't able to eat mammal meat I don't think I could survive. Seriously considering looking for another job after reading this thread and thinking about thinking how terrible it would be
Dude you gotta be treating them clothes!  Permethrin is your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

btomlin

Do leg gaiters help keep them from coming up your pant legs?   I had a heckeva time last week as I wasn't wearing my normal rubber knee boots climbing around in S MO.  My legs are hammered between my shorts and socks under my hunting pants.  My clothes were treated and retreated w .0625% P-10.

Goblen

This was my first year treating my clothes with Sawyers. Also the first year I didn't get a tick on me. Prior seasons i would get on average 5 every day I hunted.

eggshell

I treat my clothes religiously with Sawyers. All spring scounting and hunting I have found two ticks under my clothing. One was alive and crawling and the other dead on my shirt. The one crawling had just got on me I'm sure as I felt him on my leg and pulled my pants leg and saw him. He probably wouldn't  have made it much farther. I have tried some permethrine from the garden store and it didn't do well. Sawyers is the Gold standard in my book. I got cellulitis from a tick bite a few years ago and had to go on steroids and antibiotics. After that, I declared war on ticks. We used to have them bad arouund the house and I treated with this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spectracide-Triazicide-Insect-Killer-For-Lawns-Granules-20-Pound/863502378?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222327543836&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=74492030838164&wl4=pla-4578091575196569&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&wl10=Walmart&wl11=Online&wl12=863502378_10000001673&wl14=spectracide%20insect%20killer&veh=sem&gclid=2e6734f51ec117cf8aa7547af739db4c&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=2e6734f51ec117cf8aa7547af739db4c 

and they disappeared

catman529

Quote from: briton on April 30, 2021, 03:57:17 PM
Sweat won't wash off permethrin, treat your clothes liberally with it and it will stay in the fabric through several wash cycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MissLouHunter