OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Alpha Gal--Tick Bite--Who Has It?

Started by gatrapper, April 29, 2021, 02:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrapper

I got diagnosed with alpha gal back in December.

Haven't had any red meat for the last two years. 

I haven't gone into any anaphylactic episodes, but I go experience a lot of G.I. issues, sweating, nausea, etc.

Anyone else dealing with this issue?  Has it started to get better over time?

"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

bigriverbum

sounds awful. hope it improves for you. what ticks spread this thing?

my dog got diagnosed with Anaplasmosis last year. hasn't shown any negative effects.

i got deer tick stuck under my chin last year under my 6 inch beard. my wife squashed the hell out of it trying to get it out. i never showed a rash so i hope i didn't get anything. i was only stuck in me for a day

davisd9

Quote from: bigriverbum on April 29, 2021, 02:55:59 PM
sounds awful. hope it improves for you. what ticks spread this thing?

Lone Star Tick (Amblyomma americanum)

Alpha Gal is the one I am most concerned over. From what I have read and understood it only takes a bite while most others take the tick being attached for 24-36 hours. Glad it is not as bad for you as it is for others. I am sure it was a huge transition with diet.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Happy

Man that stinks. Never had it and definitely don't want it. If I couldn't eat meat then I ain't to sure what I would do. My youngest got lymes about 2 years ago. Thankful it was just that. When you spend 2 nights worried about a brain tumor in your child it gives you a small glimmer of what a lot of parents have to face for real. Ticks are nothing to take lightly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Turkeyman

Not familiar with that. Prior to heading afield I liberally spray my turkey hunting clothing and accessories with .7% permethrin concentrate. Hopefully I'm good to go. I had nine ticks on me several years ago when hunting KS, none since.

gergg

I've had it for approx 25 years, before there was much press about it. I didn't even know what it was until 10 or so years ago. Initially, I had 2 bad reactions before I realized it was red meat causing it, then I forgot and it happened a 3rd time, that one nearly put me in the hospital. They say the symptoms lesson and potentially disappear over time, I have accidentally eaten small pieces of mammal meat over the last 10 years without having reactions so that may be true....but I don't dare test the theory on purpose....lol. I have not had any(except small mistakes)mammal meat in that time, don't even think about it these days, just eat other things. I was just reading about Alpha-Gal recently where they said foods like butter and cheese would cause the same reactions, I never had issues with those things, only meat. My reactions were massive rashes over my entire body and breathing issues(throat closing), so nothing to mess around with.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Sir-diealot

Sounds horrible, my diet depends on meat, I would be in deep trouble. Hope you get well soon, but from what I have read about the Lone Star tic it could be a while.

Years ago they had a tick shot you could get to prevent a lot of things from them, wish it was still around.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

MDSTRUTNRUT

Had adult deer tick stuck at beltline yesterday sprayed down good turkey huntin but didn't  when spraying roundup around the yard.   Hunters around here (Easternshore of MD) have gotten Alpha Gal and lone star ticks are PLENTIFUL!   Lyme and other tick diseases here too, seems like ticks are much worse now than when I was growing up in the 60's and 70's.  I lived in woods and tall grass but never remember ticks let alone being covered up by them.   No red meat diet would be a major change around here.

Crghss

In PA never remember deer ticks being a thing as a kid 70 - 80, a few of the regular ticks. But they seem everywhere now, coated with them if I forget spray. Lots of pesticides back then that have since been banned, amongst other things.   

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

gatrapper

No red meat was a real game changer.  Chicken got really old, very fast.  I do eat a lot of other fowl now (goose, duck, quail, etc.). At least I am still able to eat seafood. 
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

GobbleGitr

Coworker of mine here in Iowa got it about 3 years ago after mushroom hunting (found a lone star tick attached), he has been able to introduce small amounts mammalian meat back into his diet in the last couple months.  I do a permethrin dip on all my hunting clothes since then...probably at biggest risk when working on the farm and in the yard

TKE921

For most people, assuming no other bites, the effects begin to wane over time.  That length of time depends on the person

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

gergg

Quote from: TKE921 on April 30, 2021, 10:08:02 AM
For most people, assuming no other bites, the effects begin to wane over time.  That length of time depends on the person
I have been tempted to try small bites of red meat again, just a scary proposition as the reactions are pretty intense. Like I said earlier, I have had tidbits(bacon bits) by mistake and had no reactions, so might be time for me to give it a try.

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls

gergg

Quote from: gergg on April 30, 2021, 10:31:31 AM
Quote from: TKE921 on April 30, 2021, 10:08:02 AM
I have been tempted to try small bites of red meat again, just a scary proposition as the reactions are pretty intense. Like I said earlier, I have had tidbits(bacon bits) by mistake and had no reactions, so might be time for me to give it a try.
My wife just reminded me that I accidentally ate 2 thin slices of ham a few months ago thinking it was turkey and had no reactions, so maybe I am healed....lol....When I found out it was ham I freaked out, but all was well, this thread may enable me to eat a burger soon :)

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls