OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Quiet box call  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Mnpublichunter

Quiet box call
« on: April 28, 2021, 09:50:55 PM »
Maybe better off adding another pot call to my best, but any recommendations for a box call that can be run soft/quiet?

Have been running a Halloran Purple Heart over cedar this year.  Like the call, but seems to have one volume (loud).

I started off hunting with a Lynch fool proof, which was a bit more versatile with volume before I lost it.

Offline Gog1015

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Quiet box call
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 10:04:10 PM »
I find that fiddle boxes and cost style boxes can both be played softly, you may just want to put a little pressure on the sides to assist with toning things down. I use my thumb on the side of the box and play the left side for soft yelps, just have to add a little pressure, not a lot to get that soft nasally Yelp. I’m sure others may have some better suggestions but this has worked for me.

Offline ferocious calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 07:04:22 AM »
Many of the boxes I make can be played softly or loud. Most of the softer woods will be more forgiving than the harder ones. Was just showing a helper how to tree yelp on his new box. Several oldtimers' have commented that being able to talk softly was what they were after.

Offline Mnpublichunter

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 08:24:47 PM »
I find that fiddle boxes and cost style boxes can both be played softly, you may just want to put a little pressure on the sides to assist with toning things down. I use my thumb on the side of the box and play the left side for soft yelps, just have to add a little pressure, not a lot to get that soft nasally Yelp. I’m sure others may have some better suggestions but this has worked for me.

Appreciate that tip. I would have assumed adding pressure to the sides would just increase the pitch, similar to holding a striker tighter on a pot call.

Offline Mnpublichunter

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 08:26:37 PM »
Many of the boxes I make can be played softly or loud. Most of the softer woods will be more forgiving than the harder ones. Was just showing a helper how to tree yelp on his new box. Several oldtimers' have commented that being able to talk softly was what they were after.

Thanks for the advice on wood selection. I haven’t put in much brain power there, what popular combination would qualify as a softer wood combo?

Offline ferocious calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 09:18:28 PM »
An all sycamore call can be made to play soft and subtle or high pitched and loud. Walnut on sycamore or butternut is another good bet. Truly most woods can be made this way if toyed with long enough. A great call should be able to play from tree yelps to long range if made to do so.

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 09:27:12 PM »
If you do youtube , look for Marlin Watkins and watch him play a fiddle box and get 4 turkeys from the box by playing it soft.. he will show you how it's done..