turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Preferred Striker for Different Call Surfaces

Started by GunRunner, April 26, 2021, 01:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunRunner

One thing I have always wondered about is matching striker wood materials to different call surfaces to get optimum turkey sounds. I know the responses will likely vary a lot because of personal preferences, but it would be interesting to see if there may be some consistent agreement or trends.
Please let me hear from you guys on your preferred striker materials for the following surfaces:

Crystal
Glass
Gray Slate
Green Slate
Red Slate
Aluminum
Copper
Stainless Steel
Ceramic

Please add any I may have left out.
Thanks

GunRunner
  :turkey:

GunRunner

Yelpaholic

You mean snakewood strikers for any and all call surfaces?

GunRunner
:turkey:

sbbow

Snakewood,dymondwood,tulipwood and either Ipe or Bloodwood. IMO those are the only strikers you need an that might be to many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sbbow

Delete double post

coyote1

Crystal / glass- hickory & jatoba
Grey & green slate- hickory & black locust
Aluminum- hickory & dymondwood
Copper- Osage & cedar
Ceramic- bloodwood & Osage

I could run hickory on all these and be happy. I don't have any experience with red slate and not enough with stainless to have an opinion.

bbcoach

wchadw

I like black locust on slates
And dymondwood on everything else
Ironwood runs well on ceramics

I have a heavy hickory that came with Cody world class slate that has a weird squeak to it but I always use it with that call. Birds love it for some reason but it doesn't sound same on other slates

paboxcall

At some point during a season, I'll run most everything on that list except crystal and ceramic. I carry maple, frogwood, cedar, and osage strikers. To pick one, it would be the maple I hand whittled.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Greg Massey

Snakewood, and this depends on who made it and the old Rutland diamondwood...

Snood Life

HILBY72

drk9988

Quote from: Snood Life on April 26, 2021, 11:02:31 PM
I run a Rutland Dymondwood on everything.

Amen! Rutland dymondwood on everything all day every day... Snakewood if I lost all my Rutland.

Big Jeremy

Pretty much the same for all surfaces for me...dymandwood, tulipwood, frogwood, and Macassar ebony. In no particular order.

TalknTurkey

My favorites are dymondwood, frogwood, Mac ebony, tulipwood, and hickory. Dymondwood and frogwood run good on everything. I like Mac ebony best on ceramic, tulipwood on crystal, and hickory on slate.