turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

to condition or not condition stoned aluminum

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, March 09, 2021, 06:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

I've seen and been told conflicting information on conditioning stoned aluminum.  So do you condition it or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

ChesterCopperpot

Most of mine are very good surfaces and I just wipe them down with an alcohol patch and they're good to go. If I was unhappy with one and not getting the sound I wanted out of it then I might consider conditioning it. I don't see how it would hurt anything, just typically not something that's needed.

Footballer

I only condition it if it's slick. I'll get a large order of stoned aluminum and some are slick and others grip fine without conditioning. Not sure what causes it as they all go through the same tumbling process.

Meleagris gallopavo

Mine is slick in spots.  May be time for a new one.  To me it shouldn't need conditioning. 

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Matt k

Quote from: Footballer on March 09, 2021, 07:42:19 PM
I only condition it if it's slick. I'll get a large order of stoned aluminum and some are slick and others grip fine without conditioning. Not sure what causes it as they all go through the same tumbling process.

Not all stoned aluminum is created equal or made the same. Give Darrin Dawkins a call he can explain it. He's the one who first came up with it.

PEte_A

Aluminum is a pretty soft metal. I've worked my Dawkins enough that it smoothed out. I condition it with scotchbright and it's good to go.

WV Ridge Reaper

If I do it is very very lightly with green scotch...once a year if that.

BDeal

Quote from: Matt k on March 11, 2021, 09:30:12 AM
Quote from: Footballer on March 09, 2021, 07:42:19 PM

Not all stoned aluminum is created equal or made the same. Give Darrin Dawkins a call he can explain it. He's the one who first came up with it.

I bought one from Darrin and he recommended using alcohol wipes. Works great for mine and it is a fantastic call!!

bbcoach

My Darrin Dawkins Stoned wasn't gripping well until I cleaned it with alcohol.  You won't believe what came off the surface.