OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Issue with Fastfire III and sighting in  (Read 1470 times)

Offline ehavs

Issue with Fastfire III and sighting in
« on: April 26, 2021, 12:19:38 PM »
Hey all,

I shoot a 12 gauge remington 870 and installed a Fastfire III on it using a speedbead mount.  Shoot the 3.5 inch magnum loads and I cannot get this thing to sight in.  It feels like I have it then when I shoot again the sight gets off kilter.

Have any of you had this issue with magnum loads out of a 12 gauge?  Do you think it may be a defective sight?  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Offline Snoodsniper

• Longbeard
Re: Issue with Fastfire III and sighting in
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 01:36:58 PM »
You're probably flinching.

Offline Sasha and Abby

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 06:56:52 PM »
shoot lite loads and see if that does not correct the "problem" 

Offline Snoodsniper

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 07:01:02 PM »
Make sure your barrel nut is bubba tight. Once it's dialed in do not remove the barrel for cleaning until the season is over. Removing can/will affect the POI.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 07:04:20 PM »
Make sure your barrel nut is bubba tight. Once it's dialed in do not remove the barrel for cleaning until the season is over. Removing can/will affect the POI.

Good advice. One work around is to put a small black Sharpie mark on the barrel nut and tube to make sure its tighten back to exactly the same position.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 08:30:03 PM »
Yeah I would check poa/poi using a low brass shell and make sure you are good. If it is on after that I would say drop down to a 3" she'll lol. I have shot 3" longbeards and 3" 2 1/4 oz TSS out of my 535 and 835 both with FF3 and have had no issues.

If it is off with the low brass I would contact Burris they have good customer service. I had an issue with their battery cap on one of mine. Had a brand new one in 4 days.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline Pluffmud

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 08:37:43 PM »
Also make sure you stock is firm as well. That speed bead could shift a little if you have the stock nut loose.
Psalm 46:10

Offline WV Ridge Reaper

• Longbeard
Issue with Fastfire III and sighting in
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 09:02:51 PM »

Good advice. One work around is to put a small black Sharpie mark on the barrel nut and tube to make sure its tighten back to exactly the same position.
I am a firm believer in this on every gun ff or not...After that tho I rack the bolt let it slam shut and snug one more time just to be sure.

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 08:10:51 AM »
The speedbead mount could be the problem. I put one on an 1187. The POI kept shifting so I eventually checked and found that the speedbead mount itself had cracked and was no longer rigid, allowing POI to drift. Contacted Burris. They agreed to ship me out another mount asap, my choice of speedbead or 336 mount. Since I had issues with the first speedbead mount, I chose to get the 336 mount and do a drill and tap. Great customer service from Burris.

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 08:50:13 AM »
drill and tap the gun..   Put our base or burris 336 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline CALLM2U

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 10:54:36 AM »
While I have limited experience with the Speedball mount, there are many reports out there on the internet (which means it has to be true  ;D ) of issues with them shifting POI. 

I would drill and tap if I was you. 

Offline strum

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021, 09:02:24 PM »
drill and tap the gun..   Put our base or burris 336

:z-winnersmiley: