OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Daughter's first bird

Started by Cottonmouth, April 26, 2021, 12:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cottonmouth

My daughter finally closed the deal this morning. We've been chasing this bird for a month now. He was a tough old field bird that knew how to play the game. He would usually hang up at 100 yds and just strut and gobble. This morning, we set up on the edge of the field across from where he was roosted. I stuck out a hen decoy and we backed up next to a big pine blowdown. He gobbled twice on the roost and shut up when he hit the ground as usual. About 30 mins later, a hen came in the field and fed past us. Then he gobbled about 100 east of us in the woods across a creek. I yelped and purred and he was back and forth gobbling at the edge of the creek.
I decided to give him the silent treatment, and after 15-20 mins he started panic gobbling 5 times in a row. He did that about 6 times in 30 mins and he finally crossed the creek. Came in full strut as fast as he could walk and stopped behind a tree so she couldn't shoot at 30 yds. He finally moved closer to the right at 22 yds and she gave him a load of 7x9 tss.
Nice old bird with a 10" beard and 1 1/8" spurs.
These Mississippi birds have been tough this year but she managed to get one. I think I was shaking worse than her!

mtns2hunt

Congrats on a very nice bird and the patience to pursue for a month. I really like those hooks and beard.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Gawhitaker

A big Congratulations to you both on a Great Bird, cudos for sticking with it! :icon_thumright:

Dr Juice

Awesome bird - congrats. It took me a number of years before i scored a compatible one to it. Enjoy the eats!

bigriverbum

Awesome! Thanks for the great story. Congratulations to you both.

fishr64

Congratulations to the young lady! Got to love when a plan finally comes together.

zelmo1

Great memories and lessons for you both, congrats.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Very nice gobbler, congrats!
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

chadly

Muzzy61

Congrats to the young lady. Great bird.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Gobbler-one

Congrats to you both. Nice bird!

Yoteduster

Congrats to both of you on a really nice gobbler

mastevt

Awesome!  Congratulations!!!

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ElkTurkMan

Congratulations that is great.