OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Grandson got his first

Started by Tail Feathers, April 25, 2021, 09:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

He missed a bird last year and we never got another in front of him.  We started fast with three gobblers talking to us.  As is their nasty habit they stopped moving our way and disappeared on us. When we decided they weren't coming, we walked back up the hill and Trent heard a gobble to the west.  I didn't hear it, but his 11 year ears are better than mine so off we went.  Sure enough, there was one gobbling on his and doing so often and with gusto!
We slipped in a close as we dared and set up.  The tom wanted to play hard to get and a gas well worker drove thru sending him off further into the woods.  After that calmed down, I cut hard and did some yelping and he double gobbled in response.  From then on, he was steadily moving our way.  When he gobbled about 30 yards away I heard Trent mutter "Oh my God!" and heard his breathing get ragged. :TooFunny:
The bird walked into sight at 18 yards and Trent dropped him at 8:40am.   He insisted on using his own shotgun and it doesn't pattern very tight.  He smashed the head and neck and even the wing at that rather short distance. 
Talk about one excited kid. :z-guntootsmiley:
Call used: Pat Strawser slate with one of Neal's snakewood strikers.  He had a 10" beard, 1" sharp spurs and an estimated 20 lbs.  I almost forgot to mention, we did this the old fashioned way.  No decoy, no blind, just go to the gobble and call him in.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

WV Ridge Reaper

Heck yea!!! Thing looks huge!!! Congrats to both of ya

Hobbes

Gobbler-one

Congrats on a great hunt and a memory he'll never forget.
To each his own, but I'm partial to the old fashion way. I'm glad he got to experience his first with his Grandad using this method. Congrats to both.

West Augusta

Congrats to your grandson buddy. 
Way to pass it on.  Good for you both.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Yoteduster

Congrats to your grandson on a nice gobbler

Gawhitaker

Heck yea!
Tell the young hunter a big Congrats from Arkansas,
great bird!

Dr Juice

Ozarks Hillbilly

Congrats to you both.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

chadly

Muzzy61

Love it!  Congrats to the young hunter.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Tail Feathers

Thanks folks, got my one bird limit this morning.  They were gobbling good!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Cottonmouth

Nice bird...I bet he looked like a tank coming through the woods. Congrats.

CT Spur Collector