OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

“Body punching” turkeys

Started by JohnSouth22, April 25, 2021, 06:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: mikejd on April 25, 2021, 08:21:34 PM
Why dont we just throw all this expensive crap out and go back to #4 lead. I have never missed between 5 and 40 yds with a 54 yard mistake thrown in there that the bird also fell like a stone. All for a 10dollor box of shells.

If I could get some Old black #4's I would!
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

CAPTJJ

Body shots are good for bowhunting with a sharp broadhead.

Meleagris gallopavo

Last year my son shot one at 20 yards square in the breast when he was facing us in full strut.  Although I had advised against shooting a bird in full strut he was excited and shot low.  He was shooting 3.5" TSS #8s.  I thought he had killed the bird due to the bird being knocked back and flipped backwards in a cloud of feathers so I put my gun down.  Bird immediately got back up and took off running and we both opened up on him.  Long story short is that the bird got away, likely died, and caused me to lose sleep for a couple of days.  I looked and looked for that bird.  My son learned a valuable lesson at the expense of the bird.  After that experience I would never recommend a body shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

dublelung

Quote from: HookedonHooks on April 25, 2021, 07:08:03 PM
If that's truly your take, and since we're going there, it would make way more sense at close range to shoot him in his thighs and take out his engines. Turkey can't fly off without first running and jumping and he ain't running if you just broke his legs. Then go step on his headwhile the poor bastard flops around.

Part of turkey hunting is missing turkeys, it's our part to do our best job at reducing that without sacrificing respect for the turkey or negligently destroying good meat. I'll keep shooting them in the head for the quickest, cleanest kill possible, and one that renders the most turkey nuggets.

100% agreed!

merriamsman

I can't believe this thread is real. Intentionally body shooting a turkey with a tight choked gun and TSS is going to blow a big hole right through the best meat on the bird. That is just disrespectful to an animal that deserves better. No one should do that on purpose. It's no different than shooting a big game animal  in a ham from the rear with a rifle because it was the only shot available. It's just not ethical.

captfire

THE WAY I LOOK AT IT IS IF ITS TO TIGHT UP CLOSE GET A CHOKE THATS MORE OPEN . U HAVE TO GIVE UP SOMETHING U CANT HAVE A CHOKE THATS GOING TO BE THE SAME AT 10 YARDS AND THE SAME AY 40 ITS GOING TO HAPPEN U HAVE TO GIVE UP SOMETHING.....

Big Jeremy

Close to the top of the list of my favorite things about turkey hunting is the nuggets. I would never body shoot one.

I know my guns, and where they are going to hit if I do my part from 5 yards all the way to beyond distances I'd ever shoot at one. I'll just do my part and hold on that head/neck.

I've missed a bird at 3-4 yards before. Got a second shot off at about 25 as he ran off and killed him. Even after missing the first shot, I wouldn't dream of body shooting. To each his own, I suppose.

J.D. Shellnut

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on April 26, 2021, 09:52:54 AM
Why dont we just throw all this expensive crap out and go back to #4 lead. I have never missed between 5 and 40 yds with a 54 yard mistake thrown in there that the bird also fell like a stone. All for a 10dollor box of shells.

If I could get some Old black #4's I would!
I bought a box of 3.5'' #4 long beards the other day. I think that's the first box of them I have ever seen.
60% of the time it works every time!

bbcoach

This is my sentiments EXACTLY.  I have ZERO desire to think about TSS especially with a 12. 

CT Spur Collector

mtns2hunt

Quote from: bbcoach on April 26, 2021, 03:30:00 PM
This is my sentiments EXACTLY.  I have ZERO desire to think about TSS especially with a 12.

Using TSS or any other shot takes some common sense. Clearly common sense is in short supply. Used correctly TSS is a great improvement but there is absolutly nothing wrong with other choices. You need to know your gun and where it is shooting then practice. Its unsettling to realize a lot of people do not pattern, don't have a clue as to where their gun is hitting or practice. In fact from many posts its clear that many individuals only pick up their gun a couple days prior to opening day frantically search for ammo then hit the woods. Shortly after they start screaming on this and other forums that their gun is not shooting correctly and asking for quick advice for a solution.

Body shooting, other than with a bow, is poor sportsmanship. What more is there to say? Read the posts its not hard to tell the experienced knowlegable hunters.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Gooserbat

I don't even understand why tss would cause a close range miss.  My gun shoots a volleyball size pattern at 20 yards.  That's not tight.  Most people who shoot tss are not shooting 400+/10" but patterns similar to mine. If you are missing up close it's more likely a poi vs poa problem. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

WildTigerTrout

Never body punched one however I have changed my POA to where the lower neck meets the body. Seemed to work fine for me.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on April 26, 2021, 04:50:56 PM
Never body punched one however I have changed my POA to where the lower neck meets the body. Seemed to work fine for me.

Right where the waddles meet the feathers..
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

wchadw

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 26, 2021, 04:39:40 PM
I don't even understand why tss would cause a close range miss.  My gun shoots a volleyball size pattern at 20 yards.  That's not tight.  Most people who shoot tss are not shooting 400+/10" but patterns similar to mine. If you are missing up close it's more likely a poi vs poa problem.
Under ten yards is like a slug. Hitting a moving target is pretty hard when it's the size of a turkey head. People are shooting patterns at 40 yards but if you shoot tss in a real tight choke your chances of missing a bird up close goes up the closer it is. A well sighted in red dot would help but like I said, hitting a moving turkey with something the size of a baseball is tough