turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

“Body punching” turkeys

Started by JohnSouth22, April 25, 2021, 06:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleGitr

Apparently there are some who are missing a lot of turkeys to be worried about this.  Sure I have missed a few but definitely FEW...not chronic.  Shooting turkeys at an average of 24 yards (I keep journals) and shooting factory loads, apparently I am not suffering from this 'missing is the gun/shot/choke/etc' fault...

mikejd

Why dont we just throw all this expensive crap out and go back to #4 lead. I have never missed between 5 and 40 yds with a 54 yard mistake thrown in there that the bird also fell like a stone. All for a 10dollor box of shells.

Wigsplitter

I like turkey breast and won't body shoot one myself... if the gun is that tight close open up your choke/ change loads.... don't know that I've ever seen this topic come up in my career on here?!?

MK M GOBL

Never had an issue, and of course I've missed a few but this is my answer!

Circle of Death!

MK M GOBL

bigriverbum

Quote from: GobbleGitr on April 25, 2021, 08:20:19 PM
Apparently there are some who are missing a lot of turkeys to be worried about this.  Sure I have missed a few but definitely FEW...not chronic.  Shooting turkeys at an average of 24 yards (I keep journals) and shooting factory loads, apparently I am not suffering from this 'missing is the gun/shot/choke/etc' fault...

original post is a weird humble brag. he such a great hunter that he's brought multiple birds within 20 yards in just a year or two but such a moron that he's body shooting them with tss? has to be a troll.

or he's a democrat. creating problems with their solutions(the handloads). if you're regularly calling them within 20 yards why not just shoot them with lead 5's?..........or a stick over the head? anything to not waste meat

Wvdanimal

I was about to get the popcorn for this one. How can anyone dis a rifle hunter for shooting one at 200 and not do the same for any dipwad who would even consider shooting on in the body at 10 w a shotgun? I'll simply end w this, the whole "pattern too tight" don't fly w any real hunter. If you can't kill one at 3yds, why should you be concerned about one at 30????

mtns2hunt

Body shots? Naw, I shoot TSS and do not have any issues hitting from the neck up. I think a really tight pattern is good thing and allows a precision shot to the neck and head. Sounds to me that someone is afraid of the turkey getting away. Has the individual practiiced up close shots during the off season? I bet not. Having said all that if a Turkey hunter feels that is the best way to kill his turkey by all means have at it.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

RutnNStrutn

This isn't a new issue. It's been around since the Hevishot and ever tighter chokes came along.
A friend of mine had this problem, so he shot his birds at 30+ yards. If they got inside of 30, he shot them at the base of the neck.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Wvdanimal

Seriously if you're contemplating doing this: #1 you're inexperienced and let him get too close #2 you lack  skill set to place the sight on target at 3 like  30 or you're not confident or experienced in what your setup will do at these ranges. Just imagine what a mess this 8-10 shot tss will make holding center body on a turkey.

JohnSouth22

Quote from: bigriverbum on April 25, 2021, 09:16:30 PM
Quote from: GobbleGitr on April 25, 2021, 08:20:19 PM

original post is a weird humble brag. he such a great hunter that he's brought multiple birds within 20 yards in just a year or two but such a moron that he's body shooting them with tss? has to be a troll.

or he's a democrat. creating problems with their solutions(the handloads). if you're regularly calling them within 20 yards why not just shoot them with lead 5's?..........or a stick over the head? anything to not waste meat

Definitely wasn't a humble brag. I mostly hunt the Deep South swamps and pine plantations (shout out Rayonier for not burning their properties. Liability issues.) so we hunt in the thickest woods in the nation IMO. That being said I can go from thick pines to a clear cut hunt in the same day. So the reasoning for TSS is sometimes I do need those extra 10 yards and it is the cleanest kill IMO. But also in these woods down here a bird can round a bush and you haven't even seen him until he's on top of you. Hence the body shot. Anytime I travel to anywhere besides the Deep South the body shot has never been needed.

Howie g

Body shooting a gobbler where I'm from is frowned upon ...

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

GobbleNut

Regardless of the circumstances, I will never intentionally body-shoot a gobbler.  However, there have been circumstances where I purposefully held a bit lower on the neck than I usually would due to distance or sight-picture concerns.  Having said that, if the head/neck area of the turkey is not in that sight-picture, I am not pulling the trigger. 

Howie g

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 26, 2021, 08:25:08 AM
Regardless of the circumstances, I will never intentionally body-shoot a gobbler.  However, there have been circumstances where I purposefully held a bit lower on the neck than I usually would due to distance or sight-picture concerns.  Having said that, if the head/neck area of the turkey is not in that sight-picture, I am not pulling the trigger.
Yep

ChesterCopperpot

They get that close and I just snatch him up by his legs and turn it to a knife fight. Most times they tend to beat me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk