OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bowhunting turkey accident.

Started by Dtrkyman, April 23, 2021, 08:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

I can personally can relate and tell you it can happen. As the old regulars on here can tell you I usually post a safety thread or comment before every season, because I was shot with a crossbow while turkey hunting. I was lucky and survived. I won't say anymore than, "be safe, no turkey is worth it". Sadly I got criticized for posting too much about my incident and accused of "wearing it as a badge of honor", so I decided not to post on it this year. When I seen this it just moved my soul so much I had to comment. Every incident report makes you relive the accident and brings a deep sense of dread. Two people suffer in all these cases, I doubt the shooter will ever totally heal from this....just plain sad to hear.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BE SAFE AND COME HOME, so many people love you

mastevt

Quote from: eggshell on April 23, 2021, 09:10:04 AM
I can personally can relate and tell you it can happen. As the old regulars on here can tell you I usually post a safety thread or comment before every season, because I was shot with a crossbow while turkey hunting. I was lucky and survived. I won't say anymore than, "be safe, no turkey is worth it". Sadly I got criticized for posting too much about my incident and accused of "wearing it as a badge of honor", so I decided not to post on it this year. When I seen this it just moved my soul so much I had to comment. Every incident report makes you relive the accident and brings a deep sense of dread. Two people suffer in all these cases, I doubt the shooter will ever totally heal from this....just plain sad to hear.

It seriously bothers me that someone would give you grief for posting measures to be safe, and that you were wearing this as a badge of honor hype.  But I guess it just shows the new age we are in today, with our Mellinials and their me 1st attitude.  Glad you survived.

alloutdoors

Never mind, my phone broke up the time of the news article and made it look like the CT from the time was the location line.

the Ward

Hunting can be dangerous, please be careful this season guys. Only takes a split second to alter an entire lifetime.

Crghss

Amazing how many of these accidents are between families or friends.
They know someone else is out there in the area because they entered the woods together. But this still happens.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Big Jeremy

That's terrible! I know that sometimes turkeys make us do crazy things, but we MUST always remember the first two rules of shooting...finger off of the trigger til you're ready to squeeze it, and always know what's between you and your target, and beyond it. I guess "be sure of your target" should also be added.

So sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jstocks

Please pm me the story. I'd like to read it and if I can learn something from it to keep me or mine safe while we hunt that would be good also. Never know, may learn something.

sasquatch1

Quote from: Jstocks on April 24, 2021, 12:34:33 AM

Please pm me the story. I'd like to read it and if I can learn something from it to keep me or mine safe while we hunt that would be good also. Never know, may learn something.

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

eggshell

I told the story in this thread and another, but I can't find it. Basically the shooter heard a call, saw movement and shot. The rest you can read.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,100082.msg990446.html#msg990446

Swenny

The man killed was a guy I knew and spent time with as a student, and the person who killed him is his son whom I also know and work with.

Was at his memorial service last week, I'm not just saying this out of respect to the departed, Mark was one of the best people I've ever met and known.  The idea that his son, whom is also a fantastic person, is the person who accidentally misfired.  . . I'm not eloquent enough to put the tragedy of it into words.

For the purposes of learning from accidents for all my fellow hunters, and not from a sense of gossip my understanding is that Mark and his son were crawling through grass single file, his son went to draw (I assume he was going to crouch up to his knees) when his bow trigger caught on something and he misfired into his dad's back.

Please, please, please be careful.  This entire family has spent their lives hunting and fishing, it's what they do.  If this can happen to them.  . . It can happen to absolutely anyone.  People who scoff at safety in the field aren't anyone I want to be anywhere close to.

If you're the religious type say a prayer for Mark's family and especially his son who is due to get married soon, and if you're not a religious person send them mental regards.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

Thanks for that info Swenny, sorry for your loss and my condolences to family and friends.

When I am sitting in the woods hunting when it's slow I often wonder how close I have ever come to being involved in an accident?  Never had anything sketchy happen I am aware of but one never knows!

howl

Not sure you could call it an accident since they worked together to put themselves in a position for it to happen. A tragedy for sure in any case. The shooter probably pulled the trigger without making a conscious decision to. Awful lot of bows get dry fired that way. I hope he never realizes it if he did.

Drawing a bow pointed at someone is like pointing a loaded gun at them with the safety off. Pointing the gun is probably safer.

Crghss

So sad, terrible accident. Sometimes there just aren't any words.

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

eggshell

The son will have a very very tough road ahead. My buddy who was with me struggled for years over if there was anything he could have done to prevent it and he was was just with me. It's a horrible thing on all sides. when I was working for DNR we had a fatal in the area and the investigators used my office as a post. A man killed his brother. The shooter went mentally ill for years and was never the same. So many times hunters take chances, it's not worth it. You need to be on-guard at all times. My buddies will tell you if I even  hear another hunter call, I am booking it out of the area. You can have every damn turkey in the world for all I care, I can still stick my fingers in the scarred holes in my leg  years later.