News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bowhunting turkey accident.

Started by Dtrkyman, April 23, 2021, 08:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Quote from: howl on April 24, 2021, 09:35:05 PM
Not sure you could call it an accident since they worked together to put themselves in a position for it to happen. A tragedy for sure in any case. The shooter probably pulled the trigger without making a conscious decision to. Awful lot of bows get dry fired that way. I hope he never realizes it if he did.

Drawing a bow pointed at someone is like pointing a loaded gun at them with the safety off. Pointing the gun is probably safer.
I remember when I took the course back around 85/6 we were told "There is no such thing as a hunting accident, they are hunting incidents"
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

mookyj

Quote from: Swenny on April 24, 2021, 07:50:08 PM
The man killed was a guy I knew and spent time with as a student, and the person who killed him is his son whom I also know and work with.

Was at his memorial service last week, I'm not just saying this out of respect to the departed, Mark was one of the best people I've ever met and known.  The idea that his son, whom is also a fantastic person, is the person who accidentally misfired.  . . I'm not eloquent enough to put the tragedy of it into words.

For the purposes of learning from accidents for all my fellow hunters, and not from a sense of gossip my understanding is that Mark and his son were crawling through grass single file, his son went to draw (I assume he was going to crouch up to his knees) when his bow trigger caught on something and he misfired into his dad's back.

Please, please, please be careful.  This entire family has spent their lives hunting and fishing, it's what they do.  If this can happen to them.  . . It can happen to absolutely anyone.  People who scoff at safety in the field aren't anyone I want to be anywhere close to.

If you're the religious type say a prayer for Mark's family and especially his son who is due to get married soon, and if you're not a religious person send them mental regards.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Thank you for posting this. I cover such things on my blog and did a lot of research to find any details of this unfortunate event. What I did find was a monumental outpouring of love and admiration for him, and for the healing of his family. As I don't engage in tabloid journalism, I have refrained from intruding on the family seeking any details. Hoping to confirm the details from official reports if they become public of what is an accidental release rather than some other error of events.
Mike Joyner
joyneroutdoormedia.com

honker22

My 9 year old son sent a .22LR about 4 inches from my ear back in deer season.  He was walking beside me and fortunately I had stopped to look at my phone to send a pic of a crow he had just killed to my wife.  Had I not stopped, I more than likely would've taken it directly to the head.  It was an awful moment for both of us, and one that I wasn't prepared for.  I will never forget the look in his eyes and his face, when he said "dad did I shoot you?" 
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Happy

Prayers for the family. That has to be horrific to deal with.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Prospector

Sir, it IS a badge of honor- you were hurt by it and now are trying to keep others safe from it.... thank you for speaking for my safety ,hats off to you and thumbs down for any who can't appreciate
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!