turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The cold and snow and eggs

Started by outdoorsmen, April 20, 2021, 02:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsmen

Do you think thus cold front everyone is getting is going to effect the nests?

Sir-diealot

No, turkey eggs are pretty hardy, also hens pretty much stay with them even at night, something I did not realize until recently. A friend just got some domestic turkey with eggs and they were kept in the refrigerator overnight.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Turkeyman

Watching a goose on my buddy's small island in his pond. May be quite cold but she's stuck to that next like glue.

Greg Massey

The hen's will take care of them...

Ozarks Hillbilly

The cold and wet conditions for a period of time after they have hatched Hypothermia becomes a real issue for them.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

outdoorsmen

I dont think hens are currently sitting on the nest over night. I've seen them roostung in trees still.

makestomstremble

Depends if the hens are still laying, or if the clutch is complete and they are sitting. We had very cold temperatures in Spring of 2018 and consequently a very weak hatch that year where I live. They do have the ability to re-nest, and I think many will. If they are still laying, the hens are still roosting at night.

sixbird

I had a hen nesting in front of my house right in view of my kitchen sliding door.
It snowed one night and the eggs were covered (with snow). The hen didn't come back for a couple of days.
She hatched every egg.
Seeing that leads me to the conclusion that turkey eggs are pretty hardy and cold and snow doesn't affect them much.
Now, after they hatch, that's a different story...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk