OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Nitro TSS- Loud  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Mr. Nasty

Nitro TSS- Loud
« on: April 19, 2021, 12:18:10 PM »
I shot federal TSS last year and was very happy with the results. I had the opportunity to try some nitro TSS this year. Due to shooting thru my supply of federals last year, I decided to give the nitros a try. Even though nitro threw a great pattern, I cannot get over how loud they are. I shouldn't be thinking about my ears ringing after shooting a beautiful long beard. Anyone else experienced this? Is Appex crazy loud too? I know nitro loads their shells very hot but was not expecting this. This is also in a 12 gauge with IC choke.

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
Re: Nitro TSS- Loud
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 04:09:20 PM »
Well, if I were you I would invest in some quality ear protectors that protect from muzzle blasts but allow for normal conversations to be heard. I learned too late about loud noise(s) and how they contribute to tinnitus and overall hearing loss. My ears ring 24-7 and will until I go to be with my Lord and it’s all my fault for not taking care of them earlier. For around $50.00 you can buy good protection and I even use mine for hunting now. Gotta take care of what I have left... :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline Mr. Nasty

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 01:02:16 PM »
I think you are right and bring up a great point. Are you using the muff style hearing protection?

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 07:31:49 AM »
 :morning:
Yes, I use the muff style as I think they afford better protection. There are many to choose from and mine are fairly slim which make shouldering my guns easier. There are some that fit behind the head instead of over which make wearing hats easier as well. Either way, money well spent, IMHO!  :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline stinkpickle

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • "Milk was a bad choice!"
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 09:26:03 AM »
I need to try out some good ear protection.  Muffs are fine at the range, but they're too bulky for me to hunt with.  I've been stuffing cotton patches in my ears, because I can still hear gobbles, spits, and drumming with them, but they take the bite out of muzzle blasts.  They're still loud, but my ears don't ring afterwards.

Offline Dieselfitter

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 06:19:31 AM »
2 years ago I went all in and had an audiologist friend make me custom ear molded hearing aids.  They amplify sound and shut down loud explosive noises.  Great for all kinds of hunting especially, duck, goose and dove when you may shoot dozens of shells and others in close proximity are shooting. 

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 02:10:37 PM »
I have never shot their TSS in 12 gauge. Their Heavyshot 4x5x7 even in 3.5" have never bothered me.

I can say I had a Remington 870 21" turkey barrel that I had Magna-Port work on..... That hurt my ears! This was 20 years ago. I had the forcing cone lengthened and the barrel ported. They use like a oval cut and angle it back to reduce the barrel from rising. The pattern improved only slightly, however the noise was unbearable.   I didn't have a problem when pattern it. I used plugs and muffs.

Killed one bird with that barrel and my ears rang for 15 minutes! I traded the barrel to someone who didn't hunt. Almost $200 custom barrel traded even. LOL He only shot it on the range with hearing protection.

Good luck.

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 11:03:30 AM »
Need a longer barrel or a lighter load.