OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Franchi - Retay - Benelli  (Read 8437 times)

Offline twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
Franchi - Retay - Benelli
« on: April 19, 2021, 06:53:13 AM »
Thinking about picking up a new gun for next season.  Looking at the Affinity, Gordion (or Masai Mara), and Benelli M2.   
This will be a 12ga, solely a turkey gun, and need to be drilled and tapped or be able to be drilled and tapped.  I had the Meadow Creek and it's too far forward for me personally.
I'm not super picky on barrel length, 24 or 26" is fine. 

I own a SBEII and M1 now, but I really don't want to put optics on those.  The SBEII is strictly my duck/goose gun, and the M1 is my do-it-all gun.  I absolutely LOVE Benelli's and have owned several and never any issues at all - (other than shooting POA).

I don't have any experience with the Retay or Franchi, but the price tag sure seems a lot nicer than the Benelli's, so they've certainly got my attention for a strictly turkey gun.  Not to mention that the M2 is the most expensive of the 3, plus would have to be drilled and tapped, possibly dipped too.  The Affinity and Retay have drilled and tapped models, plus already come in camo options.

Any thoughts on the 3?  Pros? Cons? Features/benefits for or against any of the 3? 

Offline 7shooter

Re: Franchi - Retay - Benelli
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 09:12:48 AM »
I have a Benelli m2 12 and 20 and neither one are drilled and tapped. Just purchased a Franchi 3.5 Affinity 3.5 for my son and if I were buying a new Turkey gun the Affinity would be my choice regardless of gauge.  They are d&t, have oversized bolt, and bolt release.

Offline twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 09:48:38 AM »
Can you get the 3.5” Affinity with a 26” barrel? All the ones I see are 28”.

Offline 7shooter

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 10:14:25 AM »
Can you get the 3.5” Affinity with a 26” barrel? All the ones I see are 28”.
not sure, my son wanted the 28” barrel against my preference for a 26”. It is a shooter, it’s ridiculous with 3.5 TSS

Offline twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 11:09:36 AM »
Local store has the bottomland Affinity 3.5", but it's not the "Elite".   Also has a 28" barrel.  Trying to decide if the Elite is worth the extra couple hundred.  Elite has the oversized bolt, bigger loading port, larger forcing cone.  I'm not sure if that's all worth it or not.   Do you have the "elite" or just the regular affinity 3.5"?

Offline 7shooter

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 11:21:25 AM »
Local store has the bottomland Affinity 3.5", but it's not the "Elite".   Also has a 28" barrel.  Trying to decide if the Elite is worth the extra couple hundred.  Elite has the oversized bolt, bigger loading port, larger forcing cone.  I'm not sure if that's all worth it or not.   Do you have the "elite" or just the regular affinity 3.5"?
just the regular, it wouldn’t be worth the extra to me. They only had the black in stock locally, I would have purchased the bottomland if it had been available.

Offline twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 11:33:38 AM »
What choke/load combo are you shooting?

Offline Pluffmud

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 11:57:40 AM »
I just picked up a Gordion Turkey XT last week. I have a Sumtoy mount and .665 on the way. Looking at optics now. Leaning towards holosun 507. Ill let you know how I like it. So far, it seems like a great gun. This is coming from a Benelli snob... Ive been strictly shooting my SBE2 25th anniversary edition for near 5 years now.
Psalm 46:10

Offline twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 12:58:44 PM »
Keep me posted please, that’s the exact sight and mount I’m looking at too.  Just torn between the affinity, and the Gordon right now. What’s the Gordion “xt”?  I see the Masai Mara XT, but not a gordion xt.

Is Indian creek making chokes for the gordion?

Offline 7shooter

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 01:30:05 PM »
federal TSS 2 1/4 9’s with Carlsons TSS 640 choke. Also installed weaver 93A picitinny scope base with vortex venom.

Offline Pluffmud

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 02:20:02 PM »
Youre right, i thought it was called the gordion xt, buts its just called the gordion turkey. The only differences i saw between the masai mara and the girdion is that the gordion has a 2" longer barrel, the trigger does not have the button removal option, and its fully dipped instead of dip/cerakote. I just couldnt see spending 3 to 400 more dollars for those 3 options. I called Sumtoy and spoke with them about choke options... I wanted a choke that is good for 20 to 30 yards but can still kill at 40 with #7s. They recommended the .665. They are machining the choke and mount todau I believe. I looked at the Holosun, Vortex Venom, and Burris FF3 for optics. I was least impressed with the Burris... Low clarity. The holosun had the best clarity, but the Vortex does have a lifetime warranty. Once I receive the choke, mount, optic and put bsome shells through it, ill reach out to you.
Psalm 46:10

Offline twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 03:43:41 PM »
federal TSS 2 1/4 9’s with Carlsons TSS 640 choke. Also installed weaver 93A picitinny scope base with vortex venom.

Could you send me a picture of that please?

Offline twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 03:46:56 PM »
I just got back from looking at the Gordion vs the Affinity 3.5.   I'm leaning hard towards the Franchi, I just wish they had it in a 26" barrel.   They have the Bottomland/Cerakote, and I liked just about everything about it.
Nothing at all wrong with the Gordion, I just think I like the Franchi better.   Now I just need to decide if I want the 3.5" with the 28" barrel, or for a couple hundred less, get the regular Affinity 3 with the 26" barrel. 

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2021, 07:15:15 PM »
With today's shells all your ever going to need is a 3".
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline willy9889

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2021, 07:15:19 AM »
 I do believe the Franchi affinity Elites come drilled and tapped from the factory.
I have a 20ga on order.