OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Thinking about switching guns for next year...  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
Thinking about switching guns for next year...
« on: April 18, 2021, 08:21:46 PM »
So I’m always thinking about switching out guns.  I kinda feel like I need an upgrade from my old clunky 835 that I can’t get to eject shells or feed shells from the magazine.  The safety is broken too.  Sent it to a gunsmith and they couldn’t fix any of these things and couldn’t understand why nothing they did worked.  Plus the gun is a little heavy.  I have not missed a turkey with this gun since I began using it several years ago.  It has a crappy OD green paint job from yours truly.  I imagine if I sold this old beast I wouldn’t get much for it.

Now for the next part of this story I have a Benelli Super Vinci that I rarely use.  The gun was a parting gift from co-workers and clients 7 years ago.  I have killed turkeys, ducks and geese with this gun but I like my old original Benelli SBE I better.  So I’m thinking of selling the Super Vinci or trading it in on a Weatherby SA-459 turkey in 20 gauge.  I can’t stop thinking about it.  I could take my Vortex Venom off the old 835 and slap it on the new little SA-459 and be done with it.

I just need/want some objective convincing either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: Thinking about switching guns for next year...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 09:03:04 PM »
I love my original Benelli SBE 1 with a Satin Walnut Stock. I think yours will make a great turkey gun. They are light, and handle all loads. You can put a red dot on it using a Meadow Creek rib mount. That’s what I would move to. Best of luck....
“Solo hunter”

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 11:05:35 PM »
 I really like my Benelli SBE I  24" Advantage Timber camo. It has done in a number of gobblers since I bought it new in 2002.  IF forced to choose only one turkey gun as much as I like others I own it would be my choice.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 06:32:34 AM »
I really like my Benelli SBE I  24" Advantage Timber camo. It has done in a number of gobblers since I bought it new in 2002.  IF forced to choose only one turkey gun as much as I like others I own it would be my choice.

Amen, a real beauty..
“Solo hunter”

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 09:26:23 AM »
I love my Vinci, and will never part with it. That being said, the Super Vinci is worth way more than that Turkish made Weatherby. I would sell the SV before trading it, you would be a better off money wise i would think.