OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Finally getting off my arse  (Read 1435 times)

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
Finally getting off my arse
« on: April 16, 2021, 11:50:35 AM »
Headed to WV this weekend for the Sat/Sun Junior season.  My son has a buddy with a 10 year old that we're planning on using to rough one up.  Then Monday is WV opener so I'm staying Monday and Tuesday to knock a noggin or two.  This is my annual trip to WV for the opener to hunt with my son and I'm feeling good about it as we usually get in the game a time or two on the WMA. 

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
Re: Finally getting off my arse
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 12:37:03 PM »
Wear them out Jeff! Hope you get one for the kids and a flock for yourself.

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 04:55:43 PM »
Good luck Jeff. Hope to some pics soon.

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 10:52:17 AM »
The kid just shot a toad. A toad. 23.5, 1-1/4 each, 11.5 and 9 beards. I think that comes out to 89.5. Will send pics later.

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 07:58:30 PM »
Fantastic! I am looking forward to seeing the pictures. Congratulations to all involved.

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 08:19:45 PM »

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 09:14:43 PM »
We set up right as the sky started to lighten at our regular listening spot.  Had gobbles to the north, south and east.  North and south were close.  So we sat down square between a good old fashioned gobbling contest.  I really liked those odds of course.  Both gobblers worked their way in our direction but never committed closer than 100 yards and eventually worked off.  Typical behavior of gobblers with hens, and we actually heard hens off to the south.  About 8:00 or so, I decided to get up and do a little scouting to see where they might be.  Glassed up the birds to the south but they were on the neighbors farm.  A good size flock of hens, jakes and long beards about 250 yards away and would get a courtesy gobble from time to time.  So I set up the junior hunter with his dad right inside the property line with a jake and hen decoy in a spot where the flock could see them if they cut the distance to under 150.  What I thought would take maybe the rest of the morning to pull a gobbler across the property, ended up being about 10 minutes.  All it took was a few yelping sequences which were cut off by the gobbles and next thing I see is 3 red heads popping out of the brush and proceed to stroll about 20 yards in front of the youth and his dad.  (I'm about 5 yards off the side).  I cut at them, they pop there heads and all gobble.  But the youth does not shoot.  I can't believe it.  he had his pick of the litter at 20 yards standing still.  Well they proceed to flog the jake decoy.  I cut at them again, they pop their heads up and this time bang flop.  I see 2 run off and stand up to see a black lump laying in the grass.  #9 TSS out of Savage 410 stone cold dead. 

This was the youth's first turkey and certainly got his money's worth.  23.5 pounds, 1-1/4 spurs, 11.5 and 9 inch beards.  Had them cranking in his lap and saw them flog a decoy. 

The good news is his 2 brothers are still there.  Come Monday morning so will I.   

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 07:15:43 PM »
Awesome job bro, great story. Kid held his water, I love it.