OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20ga Lead (Pb)

Started by dawei, April 15, 2021, 04:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawei

Do any of my fellow 20ga hunters still use lead? I shoot a Mossberg® Mdl 500C 20 ga with a 26" barrel and a Wrights® SWARM™ choke (.555"). My ammo of choice is the Winchester® Longbeard XR® #6Pb. This load produces patterns tighter, with more pellets than Hevi•Shot®. The two follow-up loads are from my hoarded stash of Winchester® Supreme® 1&5/16oz of #4(Pb).

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

crow

In the fall I hunt with a sxs 20 with lead "6 pheasant loads in the right barrel for close turkeys, scattering a flock and for flushed grouse.  Tss in the left barrel

Never tried longbeards in it, about 35 yds is all the farther I could get with any other lead turkey load  in several different guns with several chokes including the truglow .550

in the spring with that  sxs 20 I use a light load of tss or HVWT 15g shot in the right barrel and
tss in the left

WildTigerTrout

I think I was one of the few that had good results with Hevi-Shot's 20 ga. lead shot Triple Beard (5,6,7 shot).  Worked very well in my Benelli Nova 24" using HS Strut Undertaker .570.  Triple Beards have been discontinued but I bought 6 boxes while they still made them so........ ;D
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

dawei

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on April 16, 2021, 04:22:43 PM
I think I was one of the few that had good results with Hevi-Shot's 20 ga. lead shot Triple Beard (5,6,7 shot).  Worked very well in my Benelli Nova 24" using HS Strut Undertaker .570.  Triple Beards have been discontinued but I bought 6 boxes while they still made them so........ ;D
I'm glad to hear that they worked so well for you as I was not so fortunate.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

BHMTitan

I do... the Longbeards #6 in my Weatherby SA08 with Indian Creek 0.555 does all I need.

quackaddict

Winchester Super Pheasant 3" 1 1/4 #6s have worked real nice out of my Franchi 720, along with #6 longbeards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

surehuntsalot

Winchester and Federal 3" 5's and 6's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase