OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Improbable kill  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Duckdogdad

Improbable kill
« on: April 11, 2021, 12:03:45 PM »
My son walked into a bottom early yesterday morning, saw a hen roosted and sat down immediately. Within 20 minutes a dozen hens were on the ground. No blind, sitting behind a big beech tree he hears drumming to his right he sees a gobbler in full strut. Gobbler turned to his right, showing the back of his fan to my son, who uses that to get ready for a left hand shot. Gobbler keeps turning and comes out of his strut, raises his head...my son shoots and misses. The bird ran and for some reason my son decides
to chases it...runs 40 yards...looks down to jump a log. When he looks up the bird is standing 15 yards in front of him...raises his gun and shoots him. Double beard...1 inch spurs. What are the odds?

Offline Trout Bum

Re: Improbable kill
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 02:33:36 PM »
Cool, story congratulations to your son!

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 05:41:55 PM »
I was hunting one morning many years ago and called up  a gobbler.  I shot and he flew off. I couldn't believe that I had missed and for some reason I jumped up and ran in the direction he flew.  I became winded, stopped and looked up and he was in a tree gazing down at me.  He afterward went home with me.  I still have a problem believing it to this day.  So, it happens.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline Hooter23

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 04:44:06 PM »
That is awesome, I really believe that shotgun blasts confuse the daylights out of some turkeys to the point where they do some odd things. Most hunters would've stayed put and missed that opportunity
The bird possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness
-TK

Online Uncle Tom

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 10:16:25 AM »
Few years ago a hen comes across a big pasture dragging a gobbler behind about 40 yds....she gets like 20 yards out front of me cussing me out, but that gobbler would not close the distance for nothing...just stood there strutting. Well, I finally tried a shot and must have hit him...he rolled flopped and gets up flying and I throw another one at him....miss. He circled and come flying right to me....I throw up and knock him out of air like 20 yds up directly over me.

Offline MissLouHunter

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 09:42:21 AM »
Great story!

Offline Turkeybutt

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 03:49:50 AM »
Great stories, thanks for posting them.