OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

frist time for me

Started by captfire, April 11, 2021, 08:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captfire

IVE BEEN GLASSING THE FILEDS WERE I TURKEY HUNT . BEEN SEEING 7 HENS AND WHIT I WAS THANKING WAS 2 GOBBLERS BUT THIS MORNING I WAS WERE I COULD GET A GOOD LOOK 1 IS A GOBBLER WITH ABOUT A 9 INCH BEARD THE OTHER HAS A BREAD ABOUT 3 INCH LONG IT STICKES STRAIGHT OUT IAM THINKING ITS A JAKE IVE NEVER SEEN A JAKE RUN WITH A GOBBLER IVE SEEN THIS BUNCH FOR ABOUT 3 WEEKS NOW SO I KNOW IT IS THE SAME ONES. IVE BEEN TOLD THAT A TOM WILL RUN A JAKE OFF IF THE HENS ARE AROUND ...

Jroddc

Could have had beard rot or something. Does he have a full fan or notch?

captfire

HE HAS 2 MISSING OFF HIS FAN BUT IT LOOKS LIKE A FULL FAN I THINK HE IS A GOBBLER HE STRUTS AND GOBBLES THE OTHER TOM DOSE NOT TRY TO RUN HIM OFF THEY STRUT AND ACK LIKE THE BEST OF BUDDYS . I HOPE TO FIND OUT NEXT WEEKEND IAM GOING TO TRY TO GET BOTH OF THEM LOL

silvestris

Old gobblers will allow jakes run with them.  We called them bodyguards.  Frequently when a hen calls the old gobbler will seem to tell the jake(s) "go on over there and see what you can do."  The older gobbler will hang back until he is sure the coast is clear at which time he will go our there and take over.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Ihuntoldschool

Very common for a jake to hang around with an older, mature gobbler .

captfire

OK THANKS NOW I KNOW HOW TO GET HIM SATURDAY . I NOTICE WHEN WHEN THEY LEFT ONE HEN WAS IN FRONT AND THE JAKE LEFT RIGHT BEHIDE HER AND THE GOBBLE LEFT WITH HENS THAT LEFT RIGHT BEHINDE HIM. HOPEFULLY I'LL HAVE HIS NUMBER !!!!

High plains drifter

Good luck. Don't rush into it. Think it over.