turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sumtoy mounts and Vortex Venom

Started by N2TRKYS, April 07, 2021, 08:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N2TRKYS

Anybody ever had this combo and have issues?  A buddy of mine is having trouble sighting his in.  His Venom ran out of adjustment before he could get it sighted in.  He had to shim the rest with 3 pieces of a Coke can toget it close, but still not right.  He said that he called Sumtoy and the lady told him to adjust it up and down 3 times and it would work.  She said it was a common problem with the Venom. 

Anybody else have this issue?
83% of all statistics are made up.

Gmed

I have heard the same about running their adjustments and it fixing the issue. Vortex has a great warranty and customer service. Give em a call to inquire about running the adjustments.

N2TRKYS

I've got several Venoms and have never ran into this issue with any of mine.  However, I've never owned a Sumtoy mount. 

Snood Life

I use both and have had zero issues. My sumtoy is the one that includes the protector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3bailey3

I would say its the sight not the mount.

N2TRKYS

Quote from: 3bailey3 on April 07, 2021, 09:10:33 PM
I would say its the sight not the mount.

We'll see.  The sight would adjust and has held zero. 

skimerhorn

I had the same issue with vortex red dot on a a870 and a Steven's. Shimmed both with pieces of soda can and haven't had any problems

N2TRKYS

Quote from: skimerhorn on April 08, 2021, 09:06:04 AM
I had the same issue with vortex red dot on a a870 and a Steven's. Shimmed both with pieces of soda can and haven't had any problems

Are you using the Sumtoy mount?

Justinbowhunter

I have a Venom/sumtoy on a 301 .410, and a M2. no problems with either for me.

OuachitaWoodsman

I have the low profile Sumtoy mount on my Stevens 301T .410....

I had to shim the mount to get the gun sighted in - ran out of adjustment when i tried with no shims...

In my case the issue was absolutely with the mount - i tried adjusting the sight several times - it adjusted just fine but there's a limit to how far it can go and the mount was machined such that it could not be sighted in without shimming

N2TRKYS

Quote from: OuachitaWoodsman on April 08, 2021, 10:28:27 AM
I have the low profile Sumtoy mount on my Stevens 301T .410....

I had to shim the mount to get the gun sighted in - ran out of adjustment when i tried with no shims...

In my case the issue was absolutely with the mount - i tried adjusting the sight several times - it adjusted just fine but there's a limit to how far it can go and the mount was machined such that it could not be sighted in without shimming

If I had to guess, I'd bet my buddy's issue is with the mount, as well. 

7shooter

skimerhorn

Quote from: N2TRKYS on April 08, 2021, 09:37:28 AM
Quote from: skimerhorn on April 08, 2021, 09:06:04 AM

Are you using the Sumtoy mount?
no. I have a picatinny rail on my 870 and factory rail on the Steven's. The Steven's was worse