OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Decoy Tips, Tricks, & Tactics  (Read 2699 times)

Offline Laloom83

Decoy Tips, Tricks, & Tactics
« on: April 06, 2021, 10:43:58 AM »
Check out our new video on turkey decoy tactics, tips, and tricks. Let me know your thoughts.  I know there’s a ton out there on decoys and some hate using them. 

https://youtu.be/uTrAzYoeOCs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Decoy Tips, Tricks, & Tactics
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 03:36:16 PM »
Thanks for sharing...

Offline bigriverbum

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 07:35:18 AM »
thanks for the video. i skipped around a bit, but learned some things.

so i'm pretty novice with decoy use. i can start hunting Wednesday and the last 3 days of scouting i've seen mostly single hens in the fields.

I've got some private permission where our best bet will be field hunting. Trying to get my nephew a bird. The landowner and his son both pointed out a spot where they're coming through everyday. If we figure they're going to be there is there any need for the decoys?

Since i'm seeing mostly single hens should i stick with that decoy strategy or should i throw a jake out too? if so when do you decide to use the breeding setup? 

Offline bigriverbum

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 04:14:33 PM »
so this morning i put out a feeding hen with a 3/4 strut jake trailing her. just after flydown we had 2 hens run straight into them and then putz around in front of us for an hour. then they worked out the ridge(still in the field) feeding for the next hour. during that time we had another 5 hens join them. they all left the same way about 830. we trailed them out the ridge and had a tom come to within 50 but was over the dropoff and then he disappeared

there's fresh plowed dirt around us but the rain held off last night. the birds stayed in the clover and alfalfa.

thinking we'll do the same thing tomorrow unless i see birds elsewhere at dusk

am i fine running a 3/4 jake or would tacking a fan on him be better? a 28lber was shot in this field last week and there was 2 more big guys with him. they're around. just weren't in the fields today.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 04:23:31 PM by bigriverbum »

Offline PNWturkey

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 10:46:53 AM »
Is that remote-controlled battery-powered strutter decoy even legal in most states?  Seems like it is borderline Fair Chase...

If this is what turkey hunting has come to in the 2020's, why not just tether a live domestic turkey hen to a tree in the woods and hunt nearby?