turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

make pop ups waterproof

Started by lowoctane, April 06, 2021, 06:30:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowoctane

Hey all, discovered this a while back and can't seem to remember to share it, so here's what I found to make my pop up blinds waterproof, yep, waterproof. I think I've tried everything marketed to work but none did what they claimed. Saw a product listed on YouTube and figured I'd give it a go. It's available i many auto parts places on on Amazon. Usually takes two bottles poured into a Windex style spray bottle to do a normal size blind. Pretty simple: pop up yer blind and spray it down. I pay attention to the seams but with just a good spray down it works wonders. It will have to dry of course and it changes the camo colors VERY slightly but IMHO the ends justify the means!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Yoder409

Good info to have.

Anybody ever try spraying Flex Seal on the "ceiling"..........from the inside ??   I've wondered about trying that.   Probably will on at least one this spring, just to see what happens.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

bigriverbum

Quote from: Yoder409 on April 06, 2021, 07:52:16 AM
Good info to have.

Anybody ever try spraying Flex Seal on the "ceiling"..........from the inside ??   I've wondered about trying that.   Probably will on at least one this spring, just to see what happens.

then you could use it as a boat too!

lowoctane

Good info to have.

I'm afraid you'd ruin it! I've been using this for a few seasons now.
I first tried it on an old umbrella and made a pocket of it in a box and filled it with water. The next day the water was still in the umbrella fabric and none in the box.
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

eddie234

Jim Shockey had an episode one time where he emptied a tube of silicone chaulking Into a bucket and added mineral spirits to make a thin paste and painted his blind with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yoder409

Quote from: bigriverbum on April 06, 2021, 08:22:18 AM
Good info to have.

then you could use it as a boat too!

:TooFunny:

I'm not overly concerned with using one of my raggedy, older pop-ups as a guinea pig.  I have a couple that have half a roll of Gorilla Tape in their construction, already.    ;D
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Dtrkyman

I never had a problem with rain in a double bull, seems to keep me dry with no treatment.  Good info though.

stinkpickle

I might have to try it.  Mine don't leak much, but when they do, it happens directly over the back of my neck.

lunghit

This is something I started doing. It is a cut piece of camoflauge tarp that has some tie downs that stay connected to the tarp. The tarp rolls up and stays in the bag with the blind. After I set up the blind I simply throw the tarp over the roof and tie it in place. Takes just an extra minute and works great.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Parrot Head

My new DB leaked pretty good in spots last year.    I bought can of Atsko from WalMart and sprayed seams inside and out.  Now tight as a drum after getting rained on couple weeks ago.   I used the same stull of my Previous DB too.

Yoder409

That's a nifty idea !!!

I just use Ameristep Doghouse blinds.  They are exactly what I need for all the more I use a blind.  When you look up, you can see the rows of pinholes from the sewing machine needle.  Remarkably......they still leak VERY little.  But, the one major reason I even own blinds is so I have somewhere to go if it's really raining hard, so............
PA elitist since 1979

lowoctane

:morning:
Great minds think alike!  :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Yoder409

Quote from: lowoctane on April 07, 2021, 07:50:34 AM
:morning:
Great minds think alike!  :camohat:

You, obviously, could not have been referring to ME with that "great minds" comment.............

:goofball: :TooFunny:
PA elitist since 1979

dublelung

Wonder how well that stuff would work if put in a pump up garden sprayer? Seems like you could get a much more even coating of it with one of those vs the Windex type sprayer.

Yoder409

Quote from: dublelung on April 07, 2021, 08:31:55 AM
Wonder how well that stuff would work if put in a pump up garden sprayer? Seems like you could get a much more even coating of it with one of those vs the Windex type sprayer.

I guess that's your mission............should you choose to accept it.   

Anxious to hear your findings.   :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979