Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Opening day KS bird(Day 2 success. That's a wrap)

Started by AndyN, April 05, 2021, 05:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyN

150 miles of scouting yesterday paid off this morning. Ended up getting on a winter flock that hadn't dispersed yet and had 10 gobblers roosted with a pile of jakes and hens. By the end of the week those birds will probably be on 5 different properties. Birds pitched down and I got the boss hen all fired up and  in the decoys. 3 gobblers came following but never offered a shot opportunity. The main flock left and I was waiting for two hens to leave before picking up when 4 different birds that had roosted on the neighboring property entered the field at 400 yds. One series of calls and they were on a string gobbling their heads off all the way to 80 yds when they hit a wall and wouldn't come any closer. They eventually got to 50yds behind me just waiting for a hen to come to them. After about 10min I decided to rake some of the milo stubble as it has worked in the past in the timber. Sure enough within 30 seconds all 4 made their way to 10yds. He dropped on the spot but his buddies didn't hang around long enough for a second bird.

Hobbes

Awesome  :icon_thumright: Great photo too.

boomer

Congrats!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ozarks Hillbilly

Congrats good bird

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

CAPTJJ

Very nice, I really enjoy hunting early bow in KS when I can get out there.

Mathews.1

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

JeffC

Congrats again with the Hoyt, 3rd with bow this year??
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

AndyN

Quote from: JeffC on April 05, 2021, 08:54:33 PM
Congrats again with the Hoyt, 3rd with bow this year??
Thanks. That makes 4, hopefully 5 by the end of the week. Been a great season so far. I'll chalk it up to luck. Never shot more than two in a year with the bow.

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

ManfromGreenSwamp

Yeehaw!!!! Super nice! Hard work does pay out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

Muzzy61

Congrats!  Respect getting it done with a bow.

AndyN

Bittersweet ending to my KS season on day 2. Last year was 9 unsuccessful archery days. Had a mob of jakes in the decoys that kept acting funny and eventually walked off. I thought I had maybe heard some drumming behind me but 25mph winds in the blind made it hard to tell. It was strong enough that on several occasions the hub popped in and I was just waiting for it to happen with a bird in the decoys. After the jakes worked off I peeked out the back window to see 2 toms and 2 hens about 30 yds away. They eventually worked by at 20yds and I sent a grim reaper whitetail special his way. He made it 20yds and tipped over. I've got a buddy coming down this weekend to archery hunt then the old lady has 2 tags so that will at least keep me out hunting. I leave for SD in two weeks but those tags are reserved for the 20 gauge. This is my 8th KS bird but only my 3rd on private ground. I will say that with the eastern units going to one bird that pressure has increased significantly in the western part of the state. Running into lots of people that used to hunt further east and say they came here so they could shoot two. I wouldn't be surprised if we see one bird statewide in the next couple years.

Short video clip from the cell phone.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mEgMnMn9yY72ph3r9

AndyN

Quote from: Hobbes on April 05, 2021, 06:18:06 PM
Awesome  :icon_thumright: Great photo too.
Thanks. Pretty amazing the photos you can take with a cell phone anymore.

JeffC

Great season for you, wish your better half lots of luck, but it appears you know what your doing!! Congrats again and thanks for sharing, looking forward to more great pictures.