OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Shot change  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Countrylivinnc

Shot change
« on: April 03, 2021, 12:40:45 PM »
Has anyone here opened a shell and replaced the shot with heavyweight shot? I think is should be alright as long as it’s the same weight load. I have reloaded but never tried this. Just looking for opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline turkey_slayer

• Longbeard
  • SouthWest VA
Re: Shot change
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 01:10:57 PM »
Nope doesn't work that way. More to it than having the same payload

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 01:43:33 PM »
Harder shot will give different pressure. Ballistic products has data on their site.

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 09:48:43 PM »
Not just that but the volume is going to be drastically different. If you’re used to reloading then you’ll know that different hulls have different volumes. 2 oz of lead will take up more volume than 2 oz of anything heavier than lead. ASSUMING the pressures didn’t change, you’re still stuck in a situation where you’re going to have leftover space in the hill that’s going to require filling in order to get the proper crimp. If you’re just using new hulls that are already loaded, find out who manufactured the hull and then follow the proper load data. Don’t make the assumption that all Winchester and Federal hulls (or any hull for that matter) are manufactured by the company that had their name stamped on it. I’d almost bet my next paycheck that the vast majority of what’s being shot today is made by Cheddite. And those aren’t the same across the board. Their 2-3/4” hulls are all over the map and I’d bet that’s the same with their 3” too. Just throwing it out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Niner

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 08:29:11 AM »
My buddy [mention]SgtUSMC [/mention] has successfully done this without any pressure concerns. Maybe he will chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk