turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How do you keep your boxes dry in foul weather

Started by mtns2hunt, April 03, 2021, 10:12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtns2hunt

I posted this question on the box call forum but apparently it does not get enough attention as noone will respond. Thought it might get more attention here. Normally I will place my box call next to a wood stove or an other wise warm area to dry. Then I will remove all chalk lightly rubing with a paper towel. Then rechalk. Sometimes however the box gets wet even when stored in plastic bags. Looking for different solutions.

I was wondering how many use their custom calls in rainy weather? Do you switch out to a cheaper call? Also how do you dry your call so there is no damage? I hunt in the rain alot and normally keep my box calls in a plastic bag but they still get wet. Practicing with one of my better calls this evening I noticed a lot of water stains. Just would like to know what everyone else does. I can certainly afford a new box but hate to lose the ones I have.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

silvestris

I avoid the problem by not hunting in weather in which I do not enjoy.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Jimspur

I don't bring good wooden pot calls or box calls if it's raining.
I'll use mouth calls, suction calls, and a Lon Trice aluminum
in an acrylic pot with a waterproof striker.

paboxcall

Posted in the box call forum a minute ago. With a Yoder holster, I'll take my custom box calls out if the forecast is intermittent rain or light showers. A spit of rain on the box or paddle, and it will dry on its own just fine. If it rains harder then the box stays in the Yoder holster and I'll just stick with the trumpet or mouth call.

If the forecast is heavy rain mid or late morning - my days of running out the camp door to get soaking wet are well past - I'll carry a Woods Wise Mystic. Had to use some green scotch brite and a screwdriver to fine tune it, but now it runs just fine for my ear, and will run totally wet.

I would never put a wooden box call next to the wood stove to dry out. Over the years I've gotten caught in heavy rain unprepared, and just let that box sit out for a day or so and dry on its own time.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

RutnNStrutn

I use my diaphragms and my Primos wet box. I just got aluminum and copper pots with an aluminum striker to try this year.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Old Timer

I put my box call in a bread bag, works well. Usually though I will use a glass call and mouth calls in foul weather.

justin_wv

I also do not take calls that I wouldn't want wet when its raining. I also don't typically hunt in the rain.

bbcoach

I keep a Bread bag in my vest at all times.  Most vests have a specific pocket for the box so if it is damp or starts to rain I just wrap in up and stick it in the pocket.  When playing it, just pull it out of the bag or the bag is big enough to play it inside but you get a slightly toned down version.

Crghss

No box calls in heavy rain. Wouldn't work anyways.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

mtns2hunt

Quote from: paboxcall on April 03, 2021, 11:18:37 AM
Posted in the box call forum a minute ago. With a Yoder holster, I'll take my custom box calls out if the forecast is intermittent rain or light showers. A spit of rain on the box or paddle, and it will dry on its own just fine. If it rains harder then the box stays in the Yoder holster and I'll just stick with the trumpet or mouth call.

If the forecast is heavy rain mid or late morning - my days of running out the camp door to get soaking wet are well past - I'll carry a Woods Wise Mystic. Had to use some green scotch brite and a screwdriver to fine tune it, but now it runs just fine for my ear, and will run totally wet.

I would never put a wooden box call next to the wood stove to dry out. Over the years I've gotten caught in heavy rain unprepared, and just let that box sit out for a day or so and dry on its own time.

Never heard of a Yoder holster. Where would I find one. Googled Yoder leather and came up with Amish crafts but no box call holster. My calls seem to do fine by the stove, not real close but about 10 feet away.

Surprising to me that so many people do not hunt in the rain. I have killed a ton of birds on wet days from intermittant to steady down pours. Rainy days do not make for good photo ops tho. as the bird gets pretty matted and even the dog would not drag in.

I may try some of the water proof boxes and pots. I have just never gotton around to purchasing one.

Overall I do not have a bunch of custom calls just some David Holloran pots and a few nice boxes. It may offend some on here but if I have a call I am going to use it rain or shine. I am just looking to find the best way possible to keep it functional. I do use a bread bag (acually a long plastic newspaper bag) When call gets wet I switch it out for a dry one.Thank you for the advice.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

paboxcall

Yoder is a member here on OG. Here's a link to the leather holsters he makes for long, short and hen boxes:

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,101881.0.html
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

randy6471

I always carry a couple of water proof friction calls, so when it's raining I just switch over to one of them or a mouth call.

Turkeytider

Carry some plastic bags for unexpected wetness, otherwise wouldn't take my boxes if rain threatened. For damp weather, an Enticer Aluminum Thunder with one of Al Holbert's strikers along with a mouth call.

quavers59

I only carry out Glass Pots in light rain. Plexyglass or Carbon strikers

Snoodsniper