OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Box calls in foul weather

Started by mtns2hunt, April 02, 2021, 09:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtns2hunt

I was wondering how many use their custom calls in rainy weather? Do you switch out to a cheaper call? Also how do you dry your call so there is no damage? I hunt in the rain alot and normally keep my box calls in a plastic beg but they still get wet. Practicing with one of my better calls this evening I noticed a lot of water stains. Just would like to know what everyone else does. I can certainly afford a new box but hate to lose the ones I have.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

mtns2hunt

Come on, don't tell me everyone's a fair weather hunter and does not hunt in the rain? I hear all about these custom calls. Are you afraid of getting them wet? Surley some of you hide in a blind? But even blinds are not totally water proof. I am only asking how how you keep your boxes dry and how you dry them out after they get wet.

Ranman

I do not bring my custom calls out in bad weather. If I know it is likely to rain, I switch to a box called Mystic hen, it has a surface that plays wet. I also use it occasionally in good weather because it has a sound turkeys like. I also switch to glass or crystal pots, I don't like getting my slate wet.
Randy

paboxcall

I'm not afraid to tote my custom boxes if the forecast is intermittent showers / light rain. My Yoder holsters do a fine job of protecting them out in the big timber so I'm not worried. Get a little spit of rain the box or paddle, it will dry just fine on its own. 

But forecasted to rain hard mid or late morning, I'll carry my Woods Wise Mystic box. Spent time tuning with green scotch brite and a screw driver, and that little waterproof box can run.

Days of charging out the door in a downpour to get soaking wet are well past. I'll wait for the weather to break.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Ranman on April 03, 2021, 10:32:42 AM
I do not bring my custom calls out in bad weather. If I know it is likely to rain, I switch to a box called Mystic hen, it has a surface that plays wet. I also use it occasionally in good weather because it has a sound turkeys like. I also switch to glass or crystal pots, I don't like getting my slate wet.
Randy

Thank you for your response. I may pick up one of the water proof calls but will still carry custom calls or any other calls when raining. After all it is Spring time and it will rain (at least in my area). I am truly amazed at how many do not hunt on rainy days. It is one of the best times especally for field hunting.

paboxcall

Quote from: mtns2hunt on April 03, 2021, 01:33:39 PM
Quote from: Ranman on April 03, 2021, 10:32:42 AM
Randy

Thank you for your response. I may pick up one of the water proof calls but will still carry custom calls or any other calls when raining. After all it is Spring time and it will rain (at least in my area). I am truly amazed at how many do not hunt on rainy days. It is one of the best times especally for field hunting.

Big timber here, no fields.

I'll be out in intermittent rain, just water after all. But if its a storm coming in with hours of non stop rain, I will wait till its over to head out. Those first hours after a big storm can be incredible when that sun pops out. 
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Ranman

Thanks paboxcall.. I couldn't think of the name. It is a Woods Wise. Great little box.

paboxcall

Quote from: Ranman on April 03, 2021, 08:46:24 PM
Thanks paboxcall.. I couldn't think of the name. It is a Woods Wise. Great little box.

No doubt, its a great waterproof box. Thought the black coating on the rails and lid were a touch rough so I took the scotch brite and gently smoothed them out. Little tweak of the screw and it was a different box all together.

ssettle

Don't hunt in rain...lite rain maybe if the turkeys are gobbling and it forecasts clearing up and high pressure on its way. Don't run box call in wet weather  :gobble:

btomlin

My 2 custom boxes wait for me to return home on rainy days.  I keep a gal zip loc in my vest for emergency protection(holds my TP also).

mtns2hunt

Quote from: btomlin on April 14, 2021, 12:04:49 PM
My 2 custom boxes wait for me to return home on rainy days.  I keep a gal zip loc in my vest for emergency protection(holds my TP also).
Hard for me to not hunt my calls rain or shine. I do use plastic bags and frequently use a Cabelas parka that covers my vest entirely. I also have blinds in strategic spots to avoid downpours/flashfloods. While I have noticed water stains on most of my calls they seem to dry quickly and the tone is still there. I have also noticed that cheaper calls seem to hold their own in heavy humidy. Thanks for all the feedback. Just curious as to what everyone else does.

Southerngobbler

I have a Glenda green minimalist bag already packed and ready to go that I grab on rainy days. I would never put one of my high end box calls in there. There's usually some type of Primos one sider like a tall timber Gabriel or a box cutter in there. They work fine.

Happy hooker

none,,of my high end boxes go out in rain,forecast rain or high humidity,,I switch to a crystal screamer pot call best rain call ever made handles anything.

Sir-diealot

I do not own many calls that are not made of wood, but the ones I do are my foul weather calls, most being pot calls or diaphragm calls.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Bowguy

Put the call in a bread bag. It'll not get wet and the sound is perfect