turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Competition calls and strikers

Started by TalknTurkey, April 01, 2021, 02:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TalknTurkey

I've often wondered, when it comes to calls that get entered into competitions, why don't more call makers match strikers with the calls they enter? You see so many of the pots that get entered into the competitions just paired with a two piece dymondwood striker. I've bought several calls that placed in comps and they sounded good with those strikers, but once matched up with different strikers really brought them to life and went from sounding good to great imo.

Obviously sound is subjective, but I think many here could agree that having the right striker can make a big difference in how a call runs. It's made me wonder if some of the pots I've bought that maybe placed 2nd or 3rd may have actually taken 1st place had they been matched with a different striker.

KYTURKEY

Generally it's because a 2 piece striker works in everyone's hand. A one piece striker might sound great and fit one judges hand, but sound completely different and not fit another judges hand.

Plus, most call makers are working to the very last second to get calls made for a competition and don't have time to turn strikers. Or they don't make a one piece striker at all.

BigSlam51

Another reason is when a person buys a call, most of us send a two piece dymondwood with them. I've sent turned strikers with calls to a few comps, but I don't have time to do it with every comp either.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

mmclain

A two piece made from purchased materials is just the easy way.   turning an excellent striker by hand efficiently is an art and some don't care to learn how and some do turn strikers part of the time and very few actually make all their strikers by hand.  Personally I don't like the two piece made from purchased generic CNC strikers and parts.     

Greg Massey

Quote from: mmclain on April 16, 2021, 10:47:48 PM
A two piece made from purchased materials is just the easy way.   turning an excellent striker by hand efficiently is an art and some don't care to learn how and some do turn strikers part of the time and very few actually make all their strikers by hand.  Personally I don't like the two piece made from purchased generic CNC strikers and parts.     
I agree, I'm not a fan of these 2 piece strikers, it's like if you turn a pot call, why not make the striker. If a guys can make strikers for sale, and not pot calls, why can't the pot call builder make both. Sure it will take little more time, and yes i'm sure it's easier to just grab one of those made up 2 piece strikers and send it with a call.  But i'm a bigger fan of matching striker with the call..

doublespurs21

you can buy  the striker top and dymondwood rod for under $5 and put it together in 30 seconds, your are not going to beat than,,,,

callmakerman

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 18, 2021, 09:59:35 AM
I agree, I'm not a fan of these 2 piece strikers, it's like if you turn a pot call, why not make the striker. If a guys can make strikers for sale, and not pot calls, why can't the pot call builder make both. Sure it will take little more time, and yes i'm sure it's easier to just grab one of those made up 2 piece strikers and send it with a call.  But i'm a bigger fan of matching striker with the call..
Over the years I have talked with plenty of pot call builders that flat out hate turning strikers hence the two piece sticks they sell with a call. I don't mind turning strikers but really could care less for turning pots. I do a few pots now and then on a whim but that's about it. To each his own.

BigSlam51

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 18, 2021, 09:59:35 AM
Let me know how much free time you have if you ever start turning pots and matching hand turned strikers with them

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Daddy rat

Call makers  pick threw several 2 pc strikers finding best one to match calls, I've got few 2 pc strikers that are better than any 1pc made and you would probably be surprised how many guys in competition calling use 2 pc strikers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meleagris gallopavo

The laminates used for 2 piece striker pegs are very consistent and I have rarely had a one piece laminate striker that didn't run consistently on several surfaces.  It's just my attraction to one-piece natural wood strikers that keeps me buying them.  They can be very inconsistent and part of that is on how the tip is made.  Some match up with some pots or pot surfaces better.  It's just harder and more time consuming to match a one-piece striker to a pot call.  It boils down to personal preference as most things do. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

West Augusta

Most pot call makers that I know HATE making strikers.  Two piece strikers are easier. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

rodney gillikin

I turn one piece strikers and sometimes it can be a pain. Especially when you just about got that sucker finished and it breaks and shoot at you at mach1. lol
Rodney Gillikin @
Pure T Momicked game calls
Bettie NC
https://www.facebook.com/PureTMommickedGameCalls/