OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How slow is your Pace?

Started by Chase0621, March 31, 2021, 10:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chase0621

What is your average pace when being mobile?  – Example:  100 yards every 15 minutes Etc
Also, what is your favorite strategy? - Example: Calling every 100-200 yards or finding fresh sign setting up for half hour

I know situations dictate and everyone has their own preference, I'm just looking for some ideas.

Thanks for the help

Happy

Depends on if I am hunting or moving to a new area. When Hunting it is pretty darned slow. Moving to a new area its pretty fast. Most move way to fast when hunting in my opinion. They are also cutting themselves short on the use of their eyes and ears.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

ChesterCopperpot

Primarily depends how far I can see with regard to how quickly I move. If I can see a lot of country I don't have much issue covering it quickly once I've cleared it, but I might sit there 20mins to clear it. I live in the mountains so I tend to run ridges and call into each basin rather than call every however many yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silvestris

Very slow, but not slow enough.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Greg Massey

Agree you want catch me running or walking and calling. I don't chase them, i call them to me if he wants to work and come to the gun barrel that's fine, if not he lives another day.  Move very little and setup is my strategy, I've seen way to many birds bump and sent over to the next farm , by all that looking and moving.

stinkpickle

The older I get, the slower it gets.

Turkeytider

I`m almost exclusively a set up hunter as opposed to a mover. That`s mainly because I`m hunting on private lands where we know fairly reliably where birds are likely to be, or at least within ear shot. It`s fairly compact areas, so moving around would likely get you busted anyway. Would be a different story I`m sure on the huge public WMAs ( which I hope I`m fortunate enough to never have to hunt! )

ol bob

I have slowed to the point its time to stop.

bbcoach

I'll admit I move too fast.  I've heard if you cover more than 100 yards in 10 minutes, you are moving too fast.  Turkeys normally aren't in any hurry to get any where so slow down to their pace.  As others have said use your eyes and ears.

GobbleNut

I move as fast as I think the specific circumstances I am hunting in call for. In a certain situation, I might not move a hair in an hour. In others, I might cover hundreds of yards as fast as my two old legs will carry me. Over all, it is generally a combination of both in a lot of situations that I personally hunt under.

Then again, my "situation" is not necessarily comparable to the situations others here face in the places they hunt. 

Fact is, there are times to move slowly,...and there are times to move quickly.  "The Trick" is knowing when to do one or the other.  Unilaterally deciding that it is always best to move slowly,...or that it is always best to move quickly,...is a good way to end up not killing a gobbler that you could otherwise possibly have killed by using the right "speed" for the right circumstance.

Having said all of the above, in case of doubt,...move slowly...    ;D

Dtrkyman

I let the birds tell me, been there done that when birds are quiet trying to cover ground to strike one, some days it just ain't gonna happen. At those times I hunt sign.

If it is a nice sunny day and I believe they should gobble I will spend less time hunting sign and bounce around more.

Quiet birds I move slow, vocal birds I am rolling!  It is all part of the fun trying to read these crazy birds on a daily basis.

Spending a ridiculous amount of time in the woods goes a long way, I have been fortunate in that regard but still constantly learning!

Another thing that I do often when things are slow is just completely pull the plug and hit a different area completely when possible, simply taking that time between the hunts can refresh your attitude.

Tom007

My self winding watch stops....... :funnyturkey:
"Solo hunter"

Mossyguy

Quote from: Turkeytider on March 31, 2021, 11:43:12 AM
I`m almost exclusively a set up hunter as opposed to a mover. That`s mainly because I`m hunting on private lands where we know fairly reliably where birds are likely to be, or at least within ear shot. It`s fairly compact areas, so moving around would likely get you busted anyway. Would be a different story I`m sure on the huge public WMAs ( which I hope I`m fortunate enough to never have to hunt! )

Same here...I've sat in spots for 3 hours and had birds show up at the last minute. Lucky for me patience is a virtue!

owlhoot

Set up .When birds are quiet moving really slow to next setup.
Move fast when going after a gobbling turkey that is a long ways off.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.