turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turtle Skins and other recommendations

Started by twyatt, March 30, 2021, 02:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twyatt

Just got a brand new pair in the mail today.  Tried them on and the zipper digs right into the back of legs every time I bend them.  Even worse when sitting as I would be against a tree.  I'm 5'11", so I'm not sure how anyone shorter could wear them, or what's up with the zipper being so stiff at the top and digging into both legs.   Considering sending them back.   

Does anyone know of any other brand snake gaiters to try?

Hwd silvestris

I use the scent blocker ones I tried sending a pic. Not sure it gonna go through.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hwd silvestris

I'll try again

kloppy

I roll them down (inward) about an inch to avoid the zipper in the back of the knee.

twyatt

I just tried rolling them down inward = pain in the rear and not something I want to deal with every time I put them on.  I would think for almost $200 bucks they could have addressed that clear problem of a stiff zipper that digs right in the back of your leg behind the knee.  Side zip? Padding over the zipper? Zipper that stops a couple inches from the top of the back? 

kloppy

I hear ya man - when I have them rolled down I barely notice them. Whats more frustrating is that you have to rig up a way to tie them down to your boots so they dont ride up on those long hikes. Im sticking with them for now because I really burn the boot tread when I hunt and there are no other snake gaiters that are even close to as light weight as the turtle skins.

twyatt

They're definitely nice and lightweight.  I just don't understand the zipper or having to rig them to your boot.  I'll probably just send them back.  I don't burn up the trails as much as some, but I was really trying to get away from my Lacrosse Alpha 4x that are hot and clunky. 

PALongspur

I've worn a pair every day of our season for at least three years now, gotta say I've never noticed the zipper!

Jimspur

Quote from: PALongspur on March 30, 2021, 07:42:57 PM
I've worn a pair every day of our season for at least three years now, gotta say I've never noticed the zipper!

I have never felt the zipper, and with my boots they never ride up.
Never had to find a way to hold them down.
It must depend on the boots you wear as to whether they ride up or not.

Brad_Colvin

I'm only 5'8" and I've never had an issue with the zipper. As for them riding up I just use one of the small bunji cords hooked on the 2 outside eyes and run under the my boot. Even with a 5 second "inconvenience" the turtle skin gaiters with light hiking boots beat any snake boots by a mile.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

cutt down

Quote from: Brad_Colvin on March 30, 2021, 10:42:45 PM
I'm only 5'8" and I've never had an issue with the zipper. As for them riding up I just use one of the small bunji cords hooked on the 2 outside eyes and run under the my boot. Even with a 5 second "inconvenience" the turtle skin gaiters with light hiking boots beat any snake boots by a mile.

This! Same exact thing for me with the bunji cords but I can use them without the bunji too. Never noticed the zipper.

twyatt

Interesting replies.  I just had them on with tennis shoes in my house yesterday and walked around for 5-10 minutes.  They didn't seem to ride up at all, that wasn't really a concern, more so the zipper.  Maybe I'll give them a little more time today over some boots and see how it goes. 

Brad_Colvin

Quote from: cutt down on March 31, 2021, 01:13:15 AM
Quote from: Brad_Colvin on March 30, 2021, 10:42:45 PM

This! Same exact thing for me with the bunji cords but I can use them without the bunji too. Never noticed the zipper.
It's really not riding up for me the bunji cords keep the front flap from flipping up.

aclawrence

I have a little paracord loop attached to mine that I just tie a bow with on top of my boot. My dad ordered a pair and the first thing he did when he tried them on was stick his shoe laces through the holes and tie his shoes. It was one of those things like duh that's what those are for lol. I'm really short and I noticed mine digging into my legs but after you wear them for a while they soften up. That being said my OR croc gaiters are so much better. If turtle skin would design their gaiters more like the Outdoor Research gaiters they would be so much nicer.

twyatt