OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Patterning Question

Started by kennedyh1990, March 29, 2021, 07:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kennedyh1990

I patterned my gun today at 15-20 yards with 2 3/4 number 8 dove load. I typically shoot Apex GT 3 number 9s while hunting but am hesitant to shoot one at the target due to ammunition issues in this country at the moment. My question is do I need to shoot a few at 40 yards? Or will a 2 3/4 inch number 8 that looks like this look good at 40 with the Apex. Any input helps.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

IMO you owe it to your quarry and yourself.  If you don't shoot an Apex, you'll be second guessing.  It sounds, from your post, you already are!  With that dove load impact, it will only take one but you won't know until...

ChesterCopperpot

The only thing you know for certain right now is that in a pinch you could hunt those dove loads and limit your shots to 15-20yds.

mtns2hunt

That dove load pattern is a good start. Shoot your Apex at forty to feel confident in your pattern. After all how many shells do you use in a year? I may use three as we have a three bird limit. I also use a single shot. But if I only had one shell left after patterning my  shotgun I would still hunt with the assurance my gun was right on. Good luck!
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

kennedyh1990

Thanks for the input! Will post the Apex at 40 picture soon

lunghit

Quote from: kennedyh1990 on March 29, 2021, 08:34:31 PM
Thanks for the input! Will post the Apex at 40 picture soon

Yes please post the results. I'm curious to see if any sight adjustments are needed. Thanks
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

kennedyh1990

40 yards sitting on the ground with no rest to be as realistic as possible. Looks like a dead bird to me. Thoughts?

mtns2hunt

Quote from: kennedyh1990 on April 01, 2021, 05:22:35 PM

40 yards sitting on the ground with no rest to be as realistic as possible. Looks like a dead bird to me. Thoughts?

Certainly a dead bird. Pattern is more dense to the left which could be from your shooting from a sitting position. I would say you are good to go.

Although were it me I would shoot a pattern from the bench. If it showed the same I would adjust to the right a tad. But this is just me as I feel that I work too hard for a shot at a turkey not to be as precise as possible.

BINK McCARTY

Ditch the turkey head target and shoot at a target AT LEAST 2'x2'. Me personally,  I shoot at a 3'x3' piece of builders paper that I get in a roll. Single 3" orange dot in the middle. Doing this accomplishes a couple of things...finding your "core" pattern and knowing if your POI is the same as your POA. Try this and ill bet you'll see better results. Good luck!

BINK McCARTY

This is what I use.
Quote from: BINK McCARTY on April 02, 2021, 05:13:41 AM

Ditch the turkey head target and shoot at a target AT LEAST 2'x2'. Me personally,  I shoot at a 3'x3' piece of builders paper that I get in a roll. Single 3" orange dot in the middle. Doing this accomplishes a couple of things...finding your "core" pattern and knowing if your POI is the same as your POA. Try this and ill bet you'll see better results. Good luck!

kennedyh1990

30 yards
Apex GT 3 #9s
Sumtoy .665
Retay Gordion Turkey

kennedyh1990

40 yards same setup

Pattern opens a lot from 30 to 40 yards but after shooting again today I feel confident I can kill with this gun out to 40

mtns2hunt

Quote from: kennedyh1990 on April 03, 2021, 06:39:47 PM

40 yards same setup

Pattern opens a lot from 30 to 40 yards but after shooting again today I feel confident I can kill with this gun out to 40

Yep, you pattern looks good. Confidence is a huge part og success. Good luck!

Matt76cmich

Quote from: kennedyh1990 on April 03, 2021, 06:39:47 PM

40 yards same setup

I really like the looks of your pattern, my 40yd pattern is almost too tight with the Apex Ninja out of my Stoeger with Sumtoy  665.  Gonna try to get out for some last minute patterning this week with Apex 7.5s and 9s and Rogue 9s.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk