turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Green lights

Started by bigbird, March 27, 2021, 07:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbird

Have you used one to sneak in tight on a gobbler? Do they spook birds or not? I realize that the earlier one gets in tight the better but I'm just asking for your experiences with them. Thanks

lowoctane

Well, I don't know about green lights but I can tell you that I've set up under a gobbler's roost tree more than once and try as I might, total stealth did not describe me. :TrainWreck1:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Ranger

No light. Take your time and be a ghost.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Greg Massey

During turkey season i wear one of those camo caps with the white and green lights built into the hat. work great.

eddie234

I use a green clip on light but turn it off when I get to where I think a Turkey might see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

owlhoot

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 27, 2021, 10:25:16 PM
During turkey season i wear one of those camo caps with the white and green lights built into the hat. work great.
How's that work ? Do they find ya   :OGani:

Dtrkyman

I rarely use a light in the woods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Quote from: owlhoot on March 27, 2021, 10:29:17 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on March 27, 2021, 10:25:16 PM
How's that work ? Do they find ya   :OGani:
Depends if i want them to find me..  :TooFunny:

Dmason3

I use a red scanpro that I use coyote hunting. Just depends on how early you are and how close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Timer

Old school. No lights.

derek

Greatly prefer no lights. If I really need to, I carry a small green lens pen light. I wrapped electrical tape around the end so i can pinch it down and barely let any light out then hold it way down so the light only has a little bit to travel. I only prefer green as it's not as bright as white. Works pretty well I think.  I like to get in early enough if I accidentally break a stick trying to sneak in the birds have enough time to forget about it,  with no light, could have been a deer, pig, skunk or other woodland critter. Light = bad things.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

Tail Feathers

Seems to me I once read that turkeys don't see the green light.  I think that article said they certainly see red as they can see the head color of the tom and the changes in it's color.
I prefer no light, but if you need one, I think green would be a good choice.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Tail Feathers on March 29, 2021, 10:21:24 PM
Seems to me I once read that turkeys don't see the green light.  I think that article said they certainly see red as they can see the head color of the tom and the changes in it's color.
I prefer no light, but if you need one, I think green would be a good choice.
That is correct and the reason that I use a green light. The one I use is pretty bright and have never spooked a turkey with it yet. Had bad luck with white and red ones though. A light is something I have to use because of my balance issues so I did a lot of reading before I got one and they are the best. I have been wondering about one of those blue lights but it would seem to me a turkey would see blue as well. I also use them during deer season.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

bwhana

I never used a light for turkey hunting until 3 seasons ago when I walked on top of a raccoon in a wet logging road and he didn't like it and stood his ground.  He tore my pants leg and bit my boot, but no skin damage.  I shook him off and he stayed just five feet away growling at me in the cell phone light.  Last time I've gone in without one. I use green led lights now and have walked under birds and setup without knowing they were in the same tree I setup on.

turkeykiller41

Going without a light is ok unless you step on a big snake,this is what happened to me last year.