OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wild Turkey Purlow

Started by Sasha and Abby, March 27, 2021, 07:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasha and Abby

Lots of people don't use thighs and drumsticks because they don't know how to cook them.  Take leg quarters and put into Instapot for 64 minutes...  then pick clean the four pieces dis-guarding the silverskin and tendons. 

In a 10quart pot, Brown thinly sliced Andouillie - about 7" worth.  after done, add about one inch of chicken stock.  Add chunked turkey.  Salt/ pepper/ and Tony C's make this...  go light on the spices until you know what you are doing.  Chick stock is loaded with salt...  Then add two cups of Uncle Ben's Converted rice (USE THIS BRAND) and stir well to get all rice wet.  When rice is on a light boil, cut on low,  add one bell pepper cut into nickel sized chunks, about 2 cups of sliced mushrooms, 4 sticks of chunked celery, an onion sliced into long strips, and stir well.  Cover and let cook for ten minutes on low/med low.  Come back and stir.  Cover and let cook just a few minutes until almost all the liquid is gone. 

Lots of ways to make this and I've tried most.  THIS is the best I have ever had. 

Jimspur

I'm gonna give you my recipe for Old Bay turkey stew. We just got an Instant Pot about 6 months ago, so I haven't cooked turkey legs in it yet.
I simmer both legs and thighs in a big pot for about 2 hours. I then pull all the meat off the bones and put on a plate. I then measure 4 cups of the broth and get rid of the rest. Put the 4 cups of broth back into the pot and add, 2 cups of mixed veggies, 1 cup of cut up potatoes, 1/2 cup of white rice, 1 chopped sweet onion, 4 tablespoons of butter, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons of Old Bay seasoning.
Get you some Ritz or saltine crackers and your tongue will be slapping your brains out! I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

bigriverbum

i'd try this but i don't have an instapot

i just brine and then put into a big chili pot on simmer for like 10 hours. whenever the meat falls off the bone. then make turkey "carnitas"

Dtrkyman

I make wild turkey wild rice soup with them, good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owlhoot

bigriverbum

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 27, 2021, 10:46:14 PM

do you have a recipe for this? i'd like to try it with morels and ramps

Dtrkyman

Quote from: bigriverbum on March 28, 2021, 07:49:48 AM
Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 27, 2021, 10:46:14 PM

do you have a recipe for this? i'd like to try it with morels and ramps
I use a pressure cooker 30-40 minutes, remove meat place on cookie sheet and remove from bone and put back in broth, you can add the rice and continue in pressure cooker but I think it is better cooked separately and added.

Bone broth
Salt/pepper
Bay leaf(2)
Tyme, garlic
Carrots/Celery/onion
Mushrooms

Sir-diealot

Sounds good. You might want to copy and paste this into the recipes section so others can find it easier later if they want to try it. Just a suggestion.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."