turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Super jakes and gobbling question

Started by northms, March 27, 2021, 04:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northms

Had a bird hammering earlier this week. Must have gobble 150 times on limb. Been hunting more than 20 years and from my ears he was full roll gobbling and in no way sounded like a Jake. Long story short I call him in by himself right off the roost and he tops up 20 yards from me and I hesitate to make sure he has a beard to be sure. He steps up and it's a dang Jake. Couldn't believe it.

He never strutted for me to check fan feathers length nor could I see spurs. But he could absolutely thunder the ground gobbling. I didn't shoot out of abundance or caution. Anyone ever called up a "super Jake" that could gobble and fooled you? I'm still not totally convinced he wasn't mature but I had no indicators I could see to confirm it. Super frustrating.

Jimspur

You don't see them that often, but some of those jakes can absolutely scream. I think it has to do with their physical size and how much they've practiced gobbling.

simpzenith

I quick look at the wing patch would have confirmed whether or not if was a mature gobbler. See here: https://bit.ly/3w5oQCV

Mallard1897

I've had quite a few run-ins with super jakes over the years with full booming gobbles. I've had them spitting and drumming out of sight shaking the woods gobbling only to strut into sight with a obvious jake fan and stubby beard.

Maybe it's more common in the northeast? In the spots I hunt with larger flocks almost all the jakes can make something close to resembling a gobble but there are a few most seasons that could've fooled me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ihuntoldschool

Yes, it's more common than you think. You can't always tell by the gobble and some of them will absolutely spit and drum too as mentioned in earlier post.

Meleagris gallopavo

Fooled me 2 years ago.  I had one hammering all morning and turned out to be a Jake.  When he approached and had that little beard sticking out I couldn't believe it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Mallard1897

Quote from: simpzenith on March 27, 2021, 05:33:00 PM
I quick look at the wing patch would have confirmed whether or not if was a mature gobbler. See here: https://bit.ly/3w5oQCV
The wing patch is probably the best way to tell it would seem. I've seen jakes with near even tail fans and the full skull cap before.

This was a jake I shot as a younger hunter still learning. Was on a heavily hunted piece of state where we'd been on a gobbler multiple hunts. I got excited because I though it was the tom we were on sneaking in. Had the big white head and everything.

I'd like to think I've gotten more patient since then...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

northms

Quote from: simpzenith on March 27, 2021, 05:33:00 PM

Shane I actually have watched that video of yours before months ago and could not for the life of me remember what I should have lol. I need to watch again and study. Thank you for posting it.

owlhoot

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on March 27, 2021, 05:55:33 PM
Yes, it's more common than you think. You can't always tell by the gobble and some of them will absolutely spit and drum too as mentioned in earlier post.
X2 Missouri and Kansas. 
As far as practice, we had one years ago that got better as the morning went on , could barely tell it was a gobble first thing but by 10 or so he was really getting the hang of it.

falltoms

I've been fooled more than once by some Jake's, about 15 years ago I called in and shot a full fan Jake

Greg Massey

Yes, they can rock the woods sometimes, if you turkey hunt long enough you will deal with those Jakes..

MK M GOBL

Dad and I had a pair come in gobbling like any tom, couldn't tell any difference. We could tell there were two both had the guns up and ready and said first shot we can take, take them. As they crested dad said good, I confirmed and before in full view we doubled up on them. Dad got up to his and says, It's a Jake, I look and same. Dad's had nearly full tail and was a great hunt! I called it the double whoops :)

MK M GOBL

Marc

Granted, I have lost some hearing...  But I cannot tell a jake from a tom by the gobble at all (Rio's).

Today was our opener, and I followed a gobble down a fairly steep canyon...  And a pair of jakes came in...  Biggest one sounded like every other turkey I have shot, and the smaller one had a deeper gobble (with almost no beard at all).

Admittedly, I start to get nervous if they are too vocal though...  Jakes tend to gobble more than toms.  But I have heard half-arse gobbles from mature birds, and heard jakes that sounded like thunder.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Howie g

My 7 year old got his lst turkey here at home this year , listen to his gobble and tell me if you can tell the difference between a bull jake and a older long beard ?
Look up laikens lst turkey " on t3 custom calls or " life in focus media "

JMalin

No rhyme or reason.  Last two springs have taught me not to judge a bird by his gobble.  I hunt every gobbling bird as if he were a tom, but spend a little more time confirming the bird is a tom before shooting.  Full tail fan or swinging beard are my criteria for shooting.  It'll cost you a bird every now and then, especially hunting without decoys, but it's the price to pay if you only want to shoot toms.