OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Soundboards  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
Soundboards
« on: March 26, 2021, 05:28:10 PM »
What difference do different soundboards make with different pot call surfaces?  Lately I’ve noticed more carbon fiber soundboards offered and I’m wondering about soundboards in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Soundboards
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 05:46:31 PM »
They can make quite a difference in sound, depending on the surface. The reason you're seeing a increase in carbon fiber is because now there is a supply of it in 3" sound boards. Carbon fiber sound boards are very expensive so you probably won't see a ton of glass calls using it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline mastevt

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Find me on face book, Scott's Custom Turkey Calls
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 10:13:38 AM »
Alot of it depends on what the builder is trying to achieve or what the customer wants.  I know in my trough calls, glass is a bit more raspy, but Cherry produces a better Yalk, There is endless combinations in pot calls, and the pot itself has it's own character sound.  No 2 woods sound the same.  Then everything you do to it, can change the sound also.  In the end, it's not so much about pitch, but the vocabulary you produce on the call that the bird can identify with.  Think of it like as if you were suddenly dropped in the middle of China.  You still can talk with your voice and so can the local Chinese guy, but your not gonna understand each other.  Ya have to talk the language on the call.

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 08:40:29 PM »
Alot of it depends on what the builder is trying to achieve or what the customer wants.  I know in my trough calls, glass is a bit more raspy, but Cherry produces a better Yalk, There is endless combinations in pot calls, and the pot itself has it's own character sound.  No 2 woods sound the same.  Then everything you do to it, can change the sound also.  In the end, it's not so much about pitch, but the vocabulary you produce on the call that the bird can identify with.  Think of it like as if you were suddenly dropped in the middle of China.  You still can talk with your voice and so can the local Chinese guy, but your not gonna understand each other.  Ya have to talk the language on the call .

That is a very interesting way of saying that....I never thought of it that way. If you want talk to a _____(insert nationality), you need to talk to them in their language for them to understand what you're saying. :icon_thumright: