OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Laydown hen

Started by jwm1485, March 26, 2021, 04:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwm1485

Is a laydown hen worth it or is just putting a normal hen on the ground work the same? I have a avian lookout hen i could use.

PharmHunter

Just putting yours on the ground will work just fine.  Use the stake other times and situations that you want.

Greg Massey

I think it's worth it, because you don't have to use a stake and i like the wing posture of the lay down hen. But yes you can use the other also. IMO     With that lay down hen, wind is not a problem, using the other has it's problems dealing with the wind.

Meleagris gallopavo

My concern is about it's visibility at a distance.  It sits so low it's hard to see with much ground cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Greg Massey

Never under estimate what a turkey can see...

2eagles

I use my avian breeder hen on the ground. I did cut an old arrow to use as a short stake so she doesn't blow over.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 26, 2021, 09:29:59 PM
You are so right.  I tend to use my perspective too often.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: 2eagles on March 27, 2021, 09:41:41 AM
I use my avian breeder hen on the ground. I did cut an old arrow to use as a short stake so she doesn't blow over.
That's a great idea!  The hen's posture is in a submissive position.

Dtrkyman

It flat works!

joey46

We put one directly in front of a strutting jake or Funky.  I'll see if I can find a picture and get it to post.  Two of use often use 4 decoys.  A Jake Mobile strutter, a lay down hen, a feeding hen, and a Funky Chicken.  If I'm by myself I'll take Funky and a hen (maybe).  Funky always goes along.  He embarrasses them.
Had so much fun reducing another picture will try again.  Other than spreading the fan this is not a staged picture.  Funky saying "no no no big boy that's my lay down hen".  LOL.
I think we had a Jake Mobile strutter about ten yards from these three decoys but the gobbler almost always goes to Funky first.

Pluffmud

I once put an old carrylite feeder hen on the ground and put a strutter directly behind her, facing her backside. That turkey I shot over those decoys practically walked over my legs when he saw them, all he could see was blood and fire!
Psalm 46:10

jwm1485

Thanks for the replies. I may just get the avian laydown hen. I do like the posture of it and how the wings are.

squidd

Quote from: joey46 on March 27, 2021, 10:07:01 AM
We put one directly in front of a strutting jake.  I'll see if I can find a picture.  Two of use often use 4 decoys.  A Jake Mobile strutter, a lay down hen, a feeding hen, and a Funky Chicken.  If I'm by myself I'll take Funky and a hen (maybe).  Funky always goes along.  He embarrasses them.

X2 for a Funky chicken and hen low to the ground!

sbbow

X2

Marc

Yes turkeys can see very well, but it seems to me that they relate to motion.  They'll walk up to an orange tent, but run like heck if they see you blink...

Using decoys, I definitely feel there are time that the birds either did not see, or did not "relate" to my motionless decoy.

If I use decoys, I want them to be visible...  I don't think it matters a squat whether you use a breeding hen, or take another hen off the stake and put it on the ground...  When I use a hen decoy, I use a leading hen...  The posture of that decoy seems to irritate other hens, and it makes a great breeder when you set it on the ground...

Tall grass, I might use the stake to make the bird "taller."  Short or no cover, put the hen on the ground in front of a jake decoy....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.