OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TEXAS TRIP/WEATHER

Started by WW, March 25, 2021, 04:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WW

I'm going to texas next week, where the highs have been 80-89 and looks like the forecast is calling for a cool down. Daytime highs are from 68 to 73 degrees all 3 days that I'll be hunting, with 15-18 mph winds. Should that cool front quiet the birds down? I know they're used to the wind but I'm not. The wind will make me keep my eyes peeled for sure, since I won't be able to hear them gobble.

Yelper

I will be out there next week for the opener on Saturday. I have hunted in Texas for 17 years and almost everyday it has been breezy to windy and hasn't hurt my hunting at all.

Good luck and just remember if you think you heard him gobble stop and sit down as he is probably closer than you think. :gobble: Those Rio's sound farther away than they really are when on the ground. They don't have a loud gobble like the eastern birds do, at least not to me.

I have most of my success between the hours of 10-2.

Txag12

The cool down May slow it down a little but honestly the 80-90 degree temps is a little high for here this early. Get used to the wind, I think I may get a half dozen mornings each spring that the wind doesn't bother me lol. You'll be down here prime time, I wouldn't worry about it. Birds have recently started to break up from flocks in a few places I've seen and others I have talked to

WW

The weather is looking better now for my 3 days there... 68, 73 and 75 for daytime highs. No rain chance and 13-17 mph winds each day. I think turkeys should die each day.

bbcoach

It has been my experience hunting the Midwest, the wind at daybreak will be minimal and increase later in the morning.  13-17 mph isn't really high so you will be FINE.  Try to get on them early and use your binos later in the morning to locate some strutters.  You are going to have a GREAT time chasing those RIOS.  Good Hunting and send PICS!!!!