OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Another batch of Trough calls in the works...video added  (Read 1803 times)

Offline mastevt

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Find me on face book, Scott's Custom Turkey Calls
Another batch of Trough calls in the works...video added
« on: March 23, 2021, 02:31:34 PM »
Thought Id post this up if anyone is interested.  I know a couple guys on here have gotten them from me, maybe they will chime in, but I got 32 in the works.  Walnut and Cherry.  Grey and Green Slate available.  Sorry, Im out of the Red, and both my suppliers are out of it.  Pm me if you want one.  $58.50 shipped to your door, comes with Diamondwood 2pc striker.

This video is from an earlier build.  This build I'm on, I did not make with the feather encapsulated
in the back.

https://youtu.be/L49HKxA9HyYent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 09:27:39 AM by mastevt »

Offline old3toe

Re: Another batch of Trough calls in the works...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 12:26:55 PM »
 Three years ago I had an old man come up at a flea market and start talking to me. We got on the subject of hunting and it went turkey really quick. So he tells me about this trough call he makes and how good they sound but soft. I had never even heard of one and was puzzled. I asked him how much he gets for them because I had to have one!!
  This man was a true turkey man. Without replying about a price he smiled and said I've got one in the truck I'll go get it. So off he goes, walking very very slowly as he had seen his better days. By then I was wondering if I'd fallen for a sales pitch and was going to be paying for a gimmick.
   Finally he comes back grinning ear to ear and he showed me how it's made and sounds and I immediately said I'll take it!! Well he kept talking and finally handed it to me and I was giving it a run and he said it sounded good. Finally after I insisted on a price again he put his hand up in the air and said no price on it. I was puzzled. He said I only make so many of these a year and they're for friends and for people like you, its free! I had no words to say. I was touched. I thanked him over and over because he wouldn't take money for it. All in all we talked for over two and a half hours. So I told him I wanted to pay him somehow and offered him one of many knives I'd made. He didn't want to really as payment. So I told him look, it's not payment for the call, I make them for friends like you and I want you to have whichever one you want. Grinning ear to ear he asked if I meant any of them for real and I said sure!! He picked out a nice little neck knife and went on and on about it. We shook hands and he wondered off. Mine is aluminum instead of slate.

Offline mastevt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 12:50:32 PM »
Three years ago I had an old man come up at a flea market and start talking to me. We got on the subject of hunting and it went turkey really quick. So he tells me about this trough call he makes and how good they sound but soft. I had never even heard of one and was puzzled. I asked him how much he gets for them because I had to have one!!
  This man was a true turkey man. Without replying about a price he smiled and said I've got one in the truck I'll go get it. So off he goes, walking very very slowly as he had seen his better days. By then I was wondering if I'd fallen for a sales pitch and was going to be paying for a gimmick.
   Finally he comes back grinning ear to ear and he showed me how it's made and sounds and I immediately said I'll take it!! Well he kept talking and finally handed it to me and I was giving it a run and he said it sounded good. Finally after I insisted on a price again he put his hand up in the air and said no price on it. I was puzzled. He said I only make so many of these a year and they're for friends and for people like you, its free! I had no words to say. I was touched. I thanked him over and over because he wouldn't take money for it. All in all we talked for over two and a half hours. So I told him I wanted to pay him somehow and offered him one of many knives I'd made. He didn't want to really as payment. So I told him look, it's not payment for the call, I make them for friends like you and I want you to have whichever one you want. Grinning ear to ear he asked if I meant any of them for real and I said sure!! He picked out a nice little neck knife and went on and on about it. We shook hands and he wondered off. Mine is aluminum instead of slate.
Beautiful story!
  This bird was taken this morning by a customer. 

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Offline sbbow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 04:45:48 PM »
Scott makes a great trough! I have a Cherry/grey slate an just ordered a walnut /grey slate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline shatcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 07:51:57 PM »
Mine is cherry with green slate.  I think it sounds great.

Offline old3toe

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 08:10:33 PM »
 Thank you mastevt. Thats's awesome there's no greater feeling than that right there! They are beautiful calls. I might try a slate one out some time. Be nice to have both in my little bunch of calls.

Offline mastevt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 08:19:59 PM »
Got this pic this afternoon from another good customer.  Love getting these!

Offline old3toe

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 09:54:07 AM »
  That's neat too. I've never thought about marking a call. Is that inlays you put into that call! If so what kind? I want to try the one I got from the old man but part of me is afraid to take it out for fear of losing it. I really cherish that call. His is a bit rough and not finely finished like most and has tool marks in it. The striker is a corn cob striker with I think he said cedar. But here's something he also told me I've never heard of either. The tip is more of a point than rounded and he told me to keep it charred with a lighter or other heat source. He said it helps with the way it bites and with the sound. I'll dig it out later and get a few pics to put on here. I might have to get someone to post them for me though since the last few times I've tried to post pics on here I couldn't. I think it might be a phone problem.

Offline mastevt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 11:36:35 AM »
Another Bird down in GA

Sorry the pic is so big.  tried resizing it  from my phone, but no luck.

Online bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 03:09:38 PM »
I would love to hear a sound file from the cherry and walnut grey slates if you have them.  Thanks

Offline mastevt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2021, 04:00:24 PM »
I would love to hear a sound file from the cherry and walnut grey slates if you have them.  Thanks

PM sent.  I have a sound file I can text you.